Bridge and ServiceNow

Hi Community,

We are embarking on integrating ServiceNow and Smartsheet using Bridge. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this integration and can provide some insights or best practices.

Thank you,
Chris

Answers

• Hi @Chris Pires

Here are two other discussions in the Community from other members that may help:

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni

@Chris Pires I'm pretty late to this discussion, 3 months later. However I wanted to say that we do use Bridge to integrate with ServiceNow. If you're going to be at the upcoming Engage then take a look for the "Future of Workflows" presentation which I'm giving, which includes one of our ServiceNow integration workflows.

Summary/preview though is that we use Bridge to push ServiceNow catalog requests based on approvals in Smartsheet. I use a combination of the pre-built ServiceNow steps like Get User along with custom Call API steps to access SNow endpoints that haven't yet been built (like the catalog request order_now endpoint).

The prebuilt Bridge steps are…okay… but limited. You can push and pull data from a table, search for data, and you can get user information and that's about it. Which…in many cases is enough. But catalog request work is not included and is complex.

The other thing we do is more simple, just parsing a list of request IDs and getting their status from ServiceNow by querying each request ID.

Feel free to post back if you have specifics you wanted to ask about!

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Hi @Brian_Richardson,

Thank you for your reply. I will be at Engage and I will definitely join your presentation.

We want to retrieve incident/request records from ServiceNow for certain groups and import them into Smartsheet. However, I can only access these records using the ServiceNow connector in Bridge, as we are not allowed to use the ServiceNow API. I am able to retrieve the records using the Get Records workflow, but I'm struggling to extract them from the array since it's a nested array and I'm not a coder. I started looking into JavaScript to learn how to do this and was wondering if I can use a script to extract the data. Have you ever done anything similar?

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    edited 09/16/24

Yes for sure! Ask ChatGPT to write some JavaScript for you to do that and give it a copy of the array. Then take that code and save it to the JavaScript module in Bridge under Integrations. Finally, in your workflow add the Run Script step, give it the name you saved the script under, and feed it the array as a variable using a reference. The output of your script will be in the run log to then use.

See you at engage! (We will also be talking about JavaScript)

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN