Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Export to MS Project

Hi,

When I export a sheet with a Gantt chart to MS Project, I loose all the data on task duration, dates, predecessors, etc.

Is there a way to export keeping this project information intact?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi David

Quite an unusual request for us data normally flows from MSP to Smartsheet, however i'm sure you have your reasons. 

We have people on our team who are both Smartsheet and MS Project expert consultants, so if it is important that you get to the bottom of this then we will need to do some testing with you to see how we can improve your results.

Let us know if this would be required?  We look after lots of clients in Scotland as some of our people are based in the UK. 

Let me know if needed? Unless anyone else has explored this recently? 

RichardR

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that due to the way constraints (and probably a few other things) differently between the two products, the moving of data in either direction is not seamless. 

However, losing ALL dates and duration is not normal and should be investigated.

//End of important stuff//

True story:

When my team was first using Smartsheet, we had a customer that refused to use and said "It used to be in the contract that you had to use Project."

I said "Used to be. Isn't in the one we signed".  

They said "We want you to use it anyway." 

"Of course I will. For $10k USD"

(lots of discussion about value)

"OK, just send an export and I will do myself"

"Have fun"

Some people don't have that luxury, I know. The contract was over $1 million and the customer was going to (and did) complain every step of the way. I'd priced that in, but not the cost of my time to maintain the schedule twice. I would have if it was in the contract.

Moral: I feel your pain.

Craig

• I am having this issue too :-(

This discussion has been closed.