Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is it possible to assign a task to multiple people?

Options

Comments

• Diego T.
    Options

I agree on the need for this feature.

I like working with Smartsheet, but the original project plan I'm currently working on was built by my consultants that are using Microsoft Project. Importing the MPP all of the dates were wrong and I tried to fix them. This is making my life difficult because I had assumed that the import MPP function would import the file "as is", therefore with at least the correct dates.

I worked around this by setting the vacation period for all resources, but since we have several teams in different countries and vacation schedules, I couldn't have a one-size-fits-all vacation period. Furthermore. if I tried to override the dates manually I would lose the dependencies, so I tried with the Resources Allocation function.

I've tried to follow the suggestion to add a line for each resource allocated to a task, this is not only cumbersome, but if I wanted to have a discussion with my consultants on a task that are working with MPP, the line on which I have the task and the dependencies would no longer match their reference.

Even though I enjoy working with Smartsheet I am considering moving to another product as it's not possible to manage a project with the wrong dates in and some basic features missing.

• Mark Day
    Options

Is there any update about this feature?  This is something that a lot of users would like to see added to Smartsheet.  I get frustrated when I have two people assinged to a task but Smartsheet is only able to show one person allocated to the task when I look at the Resource Manager.

• Christy Burnett
    Options

This is the main item keeping me from using smartsheet instead of MS Project

• Annabel
    Annabel
    edited 01/17/17
    Options

The future use of Smartsheet for my organsiation depends on the ability to assign multiple resouces - please provide update on the process of adding this feature. We will have to go back to MS Project if this function can not be added to Smartsheet. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/17/17
    Options

Heck,

The OPs request could be done if SS just allowed for people to use groups more broadly.

Currently, you can share to groups, but that's about it.  

What about?

-Notifications to Groups

-Groups in the Contact List field

-Update Requests to Groups

etc...

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Brad

That's still my belief too.

Craig

• Michael I
    Options

I agree, I think this is a big functional gap that needs to be corrected. I frequently need to assign 2 or 3 people to a task. Would like to know when Smartsheet will correct this oversight.

• Robin Sherwood
    Options

@Brad

The challenge isn't with data that goes into a cell, it is all the places assignees integrate with other features. Groups would actaully be harder because they are dynamic. The biggest hurdles are how multi-assignee works with resource management, sorting, filtering and reporting.

If you set up a filter that says "Only show me rows assigned to Brad" does that include any rows where you are a member of a group assigned? What if I want to see all rows "Except" those assigned to Brad?" Do those include the group assignment? If I add a group to a task, do all members of the group get allocated 100% in resource management? That could be great, but if you are only interested in groups for notifications, it could pollute your RM data with lots of overallocations.

These are all solvable challenges, but I want to provide some perspective on "just" allowing groups. 

• Mark Day
    Options

Hi Robin,

Get a copy of MS Project and see how they handle using more than one resource on a task, then add that to Smartsheet.

This feature was requested over a year ago and several users have added their wishes to see it added to Smartsheet.

I'm happy to know these are "solvable challenges".  When can we expect to see this feature added?

• Angie Hatfield
    Angie Hatfield ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Robin,

I would think that you have 16 pages worth of people who would be willing to provide feedback on all of the challenges with this feature. Sending a survey to your users would certainly point you in the direct of how we all imagine it should work.

thank you

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/19/17
    Options

Robin,

I really DON'T want to be able to assign multiple users to a single task.

I've posted at length elsewhere and nothing has really changed my mind on that.

That said, here's my answers to your questions

1. If you set up a filter that says "Only show me rows assigned to Brad" does that include any rows where you are a member of a group assigned?

Yes

2. What if I want to see all rows "Except" those assigned to Brad?"

Do those include the group assignment?

No.

3. If I add a group to a task, do all members of the group get allocated 100% in resource management?

Assuming Allocation % is 100% or empty, yes. If not, the Allocation % is used.

(This is one of my complaints about multi-user -as soon as the allocation % can be different IT IS MORE THAN ONE TASK.)

Craig

• Robin Sherwood
    Options

@Mark

MS Project includes the concept of "Work" separate from duration, as well as "Task Types" which means you have to choose if your task is "Manual, Fixed Duration, Fixed Duration - Effort Driven, Fixed Units, Fixed Units - Effort Driven, or Fixed Work (always effort driven)." Each one of these impacts the properties of a task in different ways and can alter your entire schedule. MSP also allows for independent resource allocation and resource contouring within a single assignee on a multi-assigned task, meaning the % allocation can vary from week to week. In an standard MSP project file you have no visibility to the resource allocation across multiple projects, so over allocating your team on your project does not impact any other project, this is not true in an online tool; assigning everyone to a 1 day duration task takes up 20% of their capacity for a week. These concepts all complicate the user experience and are unused by all but the most sophisticated project managers. My hope is that this thread is a dialog about the stickier points of the multi-assignee feature so that we can develop a solution that has just enough functionality without adding unnecessary complexity. 

• Peter Gootkind
    Options

You've got a bunch smart product and dev folks at Smartsheet. Obviously, this hasn't been prioritized on your product roadmap. Perhaps consider prioritizing sooner rather than later given the multiple, ongoing user requests and users who won't use the product because of this missing feature?

• Mark Day
    Options

Being able to assign more than one person to a task is reserved for the most sophisticated PMs?  I need to ask for a raise!

I'm sorry I revived this two year old thread.

• Edouard Joron
    Options

This should've been implemented already... It seems like a pretty straight forward feature that seems pretty easy to implement compared to the number of requestors over the years.

This discussion has been closed.