Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is it possible to assign a task to multiple people?

Options

Comments

• More than a year later this extremely asked feature is nowhere to be seen on your product roadmap.

It is one thing to have a slow developement process, but it's hardly acceptable to ignore 120 of your customers asking for the same thing.

Please listen to your customers!

B.

• David C
    David C
    edited 07/20/16
    Options

Is this a feature that is in the pipeline now that 12 months has passed?  We are thinking of moving our organisation over to this tool and this would make the decision alot easier if this functionality was present.  Thanks !

• Aaron Butler
    Options

Hi

Is anything happening with this as it is definately needed.

I have only just started my 30 day trial and I have seen a need for this immediately.

Can someone let me know what is happening as it has been over 12 months now since the original request?  If it takes this long to get something resolved I am debating if this is the right company to deal with.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 09/01/16
    Options

Hi everyone-- I don't have an update on this enhancement request at this time. We appreciate the feedback we've received on this in the Community and while we are still considering this for a future release, it's not part of our product roadmap right now. The feedback and votes we receive here in the Community help our Product and Development teams understand what customers are interested in, but there are a lot of other factors we consider when planning product updates. Thank you all for your continued input on this!

• Michael R.
    Options

One workaround we had was to create a "group" email account and share that email login with the team. So when we assigned a task to that "User" in SmartSheet, it sends an email out and everyone who has access to that email account gets notified. If a task is falling behind, each one on the team is then aware and can either reassign the task to themselves, or say "Hey, I'll take care of it today." First one to respond takes it over. They can also reassign the task back to the group "User" if need be. It's a little bit of a pain to setup but once its setup and everyone knows how to use it, it's cool. Hope this helps.

• Steve Cuming
    edited 10/06/16
    Options

Multiple resources on a task is somewhat fundamental for accurate resource planning without creating masses of tasks (one for each resource).  Simpler than MS Project would be good.  Eg. % allocation of each resource.

Also no need to create complex work effort allocation logic.  Just manual would be good.  Trying to be too smart with this is a deficiency of MS Project.

• Ricardo Saroyan-James
    edited 10/12/16
    Options

+1 from me as well.

• Angie Hatfield
    Angie Hatfield ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow-13 pages of comments on this topic. Are we any closer to resolving and making this happen?

• Faran
    Options

I'm on a 30 day trial and really need this feature too!

• Jason Apol
    Jason Apol ✭✭
    edited 10/16/16
    Options

1) Can a moderator or a user post a link to an actual SmarSheet showing the workarounds for assigning multiple users to a task by either adding sub rows or additional columns?

2) Please add my vote for this function.

Thanks!

• Jason Apol
    Options

I tried adding multiple columns, but could not make project resource planning work.

I just worked through multiple users by adding a row for each user as a sub task. Resource planning does work this way, but it is very inelegant.

Multiple rows is headed the right direction, but execution is clumsy. If anyone knows of a better workaround, can you post an example?

To SS App Dev team: Goal would be dropping multiple resources in to the Assigned To colum and Resource Planning showing utilization of resources.

Thanks!

Screenshot of GANTT with multiple rows for resources:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Jason Apol
    Jason Apol ✭✭
    edited 10/16/16
    Options

Anybody know of a way to put "Task Name" in front of a GANTT bar and "Assigned To" info after the GANTT bar?

That would be an acceptable short term workaround as resources would be displayed on the GANTT along with the task.

• Jason Apol
    Options

I do feel that I should comment that the row add method increases the time to create the GANTT by a factor of more than 2.5. 

• Jason Apol
    Options

Lastly, I was able to kind of hack together a simplified version that would show multiple resources on one task in the GANTT display:

Of course, this abandons the Project Resource functions of SS, but it gets a single task shown on the GANTT with multiple resources in a simple fashion. (I know you die hard project management types are rolling your eyes, but it gets info on a sheet where people can use it.  :-)

To do this I created a new Text/Number column. I took the text strings of "Task Name" and "Assigned To" and blended them together with a JOIN function.

Here is syntax for formula: =JOIN([Task Name]414:[Assigned To]414, " - ")

Then in "Project Settings / Timeline Display / Display label for" I entered the name of the new column.

Hope this helps someone else. Regards to all.

Capture.PNG

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We're at 17months on this request.  May not be the most important, but clearly deserves some attention.  Not visible in the roadmap so far.

We want this Smartsheet, please.  +1 vote for me on this feature request.

This discussion has been closed.