The Mythological Product Development Team
Once again, I have gone in search of what I would consider a perfectly logical and necessary function only to find that Smartsheet can't accommodate. When I call customer service, I receive the same answer every time: “We don’t currently offer that function, but we will submit this to our product development team and they will take a look at it.” I then check the community forums and find people who have been asking for the same thing since 2015! Again, the same response is given that the mythological product development team is on it. Does this team even exist? When I inquire about what they’re working on with customer service, I can never get an answer, as if their work is classified top secret. I stumble upon the famous “workarounds” that never seem to fully address my needs and are always cumbersome and complicated to implement. Of course, we get a new user interface roll out that moves the menu buttons to the top of the screen instead of the left side. Boy, I sure am glad we invested resources into fixing that awful layout problem! We’ll put all the projects that people have been requesting for years on the back burner while we do this. I mean, who needs functionality when you have a pretty looking interface, am I right? (insert as much sarcasm as possible into the last 3 sentences to drive the point home)
I can’t possibly be the only one who is this frustrated. I’d like to call on the Smartsheet community to list the perfectly reasonable and logical changes you’d like to see in Smartsheet on this forum thread and let’s see if we can’t spur them to action on this list. I’d also like to request that Smartsheet release what product enhancements they are working on and their justification for prioritizing the workload. Surely, they can create a dashboard to show that…or at least a workaround for it.
I am currently requesting the following items. Please add yours to the list below:
- True recurring task functions
- Parent/child relationship carried over to reports
- Hyperlink data labels on charts in dashboards
- Master contact lists that can be updated and cascade through all of the sheets. That way when I add a new employee to my company, I don’t have to go through every individual sheet to add them as an option for “assigned to” columns
- Templates that can save notification rules
- Ability to turn off notifications for updates by current user across the entire sheet, rather than each individual user having to personally deactivate it
- Remove the 100 cross sheet reference limits on sheets (this is just absurd)
- Option to apply formulas to an entire column range so that even if you skip a line, the formula still continues. This would also protect the formula from being deleted. Yes, I know you can lock a column, but this would allow it so you could delete rows without fear of losing formula
- AVERAGEIF formulas. You have COUNTIF and SUMIF, why not AVERAGEIF?