Enhancement Request: Sheet/Workspace Level References in Formulas

Options
L_123
L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I would like to create notifications for the creation of new sheets in specific workspaces and in general better track what sheets are getting created where. To this point I would like to build a master sheet with drop downs for each workspace showing what folders and sheets are in them. A directory if you will.

This would allow me to build notifications when new sheets are added to workspaces, and have a master smartsheet tracker available to show what my team is working on. Right now our setup is entirely manual, everyone has to go to the project sheet and edit it, and it's just another step everyone has to take when building a sheet, and because of that sometimes the project sheet gets missed when a sheet is created.

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Luke,

When you have a moment, please submit an enhancement request using the Product Enhancement Request form to the right of the community site. Your feedback will go straight to our Product team for review.

With that being said, you might consider using our API to create this automation if you have developer resources available at your organization. More information on this is available here: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have resources and no developer, contact me. 

Craig

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I know about the API and am currently working on learning RUBY in order to utilize the API. That said I think it would be good to not have to use the API for this functionality, which is why I suggested it.

I submitted a product enhancement request at the same time I made this post.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think we are ready to outsource any of our development at this point. We are still working on building our team of key users and developing internal skills. Maybe once our team gets more comfortable with the program we can start to use the API and hire external developers, in fact I am hoping for that and building my own skills in preparation for that future. The big thing we would want to do is link smartsheet to SAP to reduce the number of times we are inputting information.

Until then I put this suggestion up because I think it would be a very useful tool for users who aren't programmers. 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!