Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Contacts List

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

We have five licensed users from three very different departments on our account. Is there a way for each of us to have our own contacts list? Currently, it pulls any/all email addresses and it would be helpful if we could each create our own. 

Also, is there a way to combine the "My Smartsheet Contacts" list with the ones under the "User" group?

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hello Loann! Contact lists are not shared - each user has their own contact list (Account > My Smartsheet Contacts). What is shared (and what you are probably referring to) are the members of your account under User Management. When you start typing in a name in a Contact List column, Smartsheet will auto resolve from your contacts (personal to each user), who is assigned to other tasks in the sheet, AND everyone on your account under User Management. 

While your contacts are personal, you will see the contact info of members of your account when you are adding names to Contact List columns (as well as anyone assigned to a task in the sheet).

For your second question, are you asking how to add your Smartsheet Contacts to Account > User Management? There isn’t a way to add users from your contacts to your account but if you had a CSV file of your contacts (exported from Outlook or similar program), you can use that file to bulk add users to your account. 

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Helpful as always, Travis.

Is there a benefit to using one type of contact list over another? Many of the same contacts are in both lists and I don't know if it makes a difference as to which one I use, though I try to not mix them. 

Blessings,

Loann

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/02/15

The list under User Management isn’t considered a ‘contact list’ but rather a list of the members of your account. Having a user in your Contact List does not affect that user at all - they are just in your contacts. However, adding them to your account under User Management, does affect them. They would be members of a paid plan which means they get access to priority support, can be tracked as resources, their accounts can be managed by the account SysAdmin, etc. 

Think of it from the perspective of a family cell phone plan. You have all your friends in your address book (Contact List) and you have your family members on your cell phone plan (User Management). 

Does that help? 

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think so - would it be best to only add true Users to the User Management group, vs those who may only be viewers/recipients of reports?
    And if I delete someone from the User Management group, but they're in my Smartsheet Contacts list, does it keep all of their access (and vice versa if I delete them from my SS Contacts list but keep in User Mgmt)?

Tired of me, yet? Foot in Mouth

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Loann, sorry for my delayed response - somehow I missed your reply!Yell

It would be best to only add users under User Management that you need to manage on an Admin level and who need access to paid benefits. 

Deleting a user from User Management will not affect their sharing permissions unless you select the option to remove them from sharing on sheets owned by members of your account when you delete them from your account. 

Deleting a user from your contacts will not no affect on the user or their sharing permissions. 

Let me know if there is anything else you need with this! 

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Travis - it wasn't urgent, so no worries. My User Management group is now cleaned up! This was very helpful. Cool

Blessings,

Loann

This discussion has been closed.