Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Setting Up Automated Transfers between Sheets

Options
Katie Brown
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi all,

I'm trying to sort out if it's possible to have information automatically transferred from one sheet to another. Essentially, I'm hoping to create an automated archive that absorbs all information in our primary sheet once an item has been fully addressed. I haven't come across anything in the training videos that makes me think this is possible - does anyone have experience with or an idea of whether or not this is something Smartsheet is capable of? I'd imagine it would be connected to some sort of condition being set, but can't figure out how to set conditions between sheets.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Katie

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Automation is not something that is possible in smartsheet excep through the api. If you need to move them due to capasity then you can do two different approached.

1    Create a report to gather all records that are completed, export the results to Excel or Google sheets then delete them from th main sheet.

2   Manually move them peridicly from the main sheet to the archive sheet.

If capasity is not an issue create two hierarcy one for Completed tasks and one for un completed tasks.  As tasks are completed drag them into the completed hierarchy.  Keep that hierarchy collapsed so that they are not visible except by expanding the hierarchy.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Hi Katie, while this functionality isnt built into Smartsheet, it is possible to do this with third party apps.

Zapier and Azuqua are apps that utilize our API to perform automated actions. They can look in a sheet and when a condition is met (task marked complete) can copy the data to another sheet.

Both are paid apps but Zapier has a free version which can likely do everything you need. Azuqua is a little more expensive and does not have a free version but is more powerful and has a cleaner interface.

Check them out: 

https://zapier.com

https://azuqua.com/

• Katie Brown
    Options

Thank you, James and Travis!! I'm new to Smartsheet, so this saved me a lot of running into dead ends and bumbling around the help section :) Much appreciated.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 11/06/15
    Options

Happy to help! Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

• Digit
    Digit ✭✭
    Options

Hi 

Now that move row automation has been introduced to Smartsheet is there a way that the original field of data can be held for data count purposes in the original sheet but certain fields can be moved into the new sheet for onward progression.

If not currently is this something that could become an enhancement?

Thanks 

This discussion has been closed.