Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Assigned To

Options

Is there anyway of assigning more than one contact to a single task row rather than have to repoeat the line to get two owners

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bernadette,

Any column can be a Contact List type. I have used "Assigned To" and "Assigned Too" columns when I had one task for two persons (pair programming), but it required a few hurdles to get the associated task list reports to run right and I wasn't really happy with the solution.

Here's a few threads on the topic:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/it-possible-assign-task-multiple-people

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/assign-more-1-person-or-group-task

Careful, I have a long rant in that second thread.

Craig

• Bernadette Cooper-Ellis
    edited 01/06/16
    Options

Craig thanks for the feedback I'm a new user so was hoping there was a workaround

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bernadette, 

I can't tell from your font whether you are  disappointed or not.

Did you get what you needed?

Craig

• Bernadette Cooper-Ellis
    edited 01/07/16
    Options

Hi Craig,

happy with your response and explanation on this and suggested alternae approach to adding rows.

Disapointed with the feature that can't added more than one rsource like you can in project.

Cheers

Bernadette

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bernadette,

OK. Then I am content.

Craig

• Vlad Rasper
    Options

From searching other posts related to SS multiple resource assignments to tasks, this is clearly a hot topic and disappointingly a missing feature from SS.

Resource Management is an integral part of project management, and there are many different ways we project managers use the rich features within MS Project to allocate and manage resource loading, leveling, forecasting etc.  Alas, this capability is missing from SS and as such, eliminates this tool from the serious project management toolkit.

It is absolutely understandable that PM wish to assign multiple resources at varying allocation rates to a single task.  In addition, the duration of task will depend on whether it is effort driven or not.  We project managers need this functionality to run "what if" analyses during planning and to avoid resource overallocation during the project.  Adding sub tasks with single resource allocated to each is simply not an efficient and realistic option.

So, to summarize, to make SS a powerful resource management tool, here is a list of requirements that should be implemented:

1.  multiple resources can be assigned to a task

2. resources can be assigned at selectable allocation rates (eg: 25%, 50%, 100%)

3. (nice to have) if a task is defined as "effort driven", the duration will be adjusted more or less as resources are either added or deleted

There is also an element of Cost Management (also part of project management) which seems to be missing but I won't get into that right now.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Bernadette and Vlad,

Yes, assigning multiple people to a task is now available.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518335-assigning-people-to-a-task

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

--

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that you can now quickly & easily assign tasks to multiple people. To do so, check the new "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox in any contact column. The cells in that column will then allow up to 20 people to be added.

You can still leave that option unchecked when you only want a single person to be assigned to a task at a time.

Adding multiple contacts to a cell is useful not only for assigning people, but also for other scenarios where you want to associate multiple stakeholders with a row. For example, you might want those people to receive notifications when the row changes, or you may want them to appear in reports and filters.

For some projects, you may want to add 2 contact columns: one for the primary owner, and another for additional team members.

We welcome you to try it out and let us know what you think.

- Daniel

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.