Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

"Modified / Modified by" fields

Rodrigo Costa
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I noticed that when I save a shared sheet, the columns "modified" and "modified by" change to my login and the time stamp when I saved for ALL rown in the sheet. Is it how those column types are supposed to work?

In the help contents, I read that those columns change ONLY in the ROW where data has been changed. It doesn't seem to being work properly and I have lost track of actual completion dates on several tasks in a workflow becasue the time stamp and the login in ALL ROWS is the login and time stamp of the laser used that edited the sheet.

How can I capture the time stamp and user who completed task, in work-flow / task management type of sheet.

Regards,

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Rodrigo - are you using formulas in your sheet? It sounds like you may have formulas in your sheet that update when you open your sheet. If this is the case, then the modified / modified by fields are updated to reflect these background formula changes. You can always use the Highlight Changes feature to highlight the cells that have been modified in a given timeframe. You can also view the history of these cells, including who made a change, when the change was made, and what they change was by right clicking in the cell and select View History.

• I'm looking for a feature to update a column as last modified and updated user-id based on any cells in the corresponding row is modified.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Suresh - check out our System columns which can show the user who created or last modified a row and a timestamp of when the row was created or last modified.

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1964567-system-columns

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Travis,

Thanks for this post. This helped me confirm that when we open a sheet, this formula autocalculates  =TODAY() - [CLAIM DATE]2   and thus the cell gets updated with a new number and the modified by and date show the person who opened the sheet and the date/time they opened.

Tim

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Happy to hear it was able to help! 

• But when you add new discussion or add to an existing the modified by and date do not update.  Frown  I realize I can set up notifications but does not make much sence when I am already in the sheet.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You might try turning on "Highlight Changes"

Craig

• That does not work well when there are multiple conversations per sheet updating multiple times within an hour.  I guess email notifications will work best.  Just seems counter productive since I am already in the sheet.  

Thanks

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/08/17

Agreed.

How would the Modified Date/By change that?

Are you looking for something like a running log of updates?

Craig

• jblavarias
    edited 05/16/17

We created an online sheet that is used by multiple users.

Column 1 = Acknowledged by (Contact Column)

Column 2 (Locked) = Date Acknowledged (Date Column)

Date Acknowledged has a formula =IF([Acknowledged by]1<>"",Today(),"")

PROBLEM: When Highlighted Changes is turned on, Date Acknowledged is highlighted but not the Acknowledged by. When I click the Version History of Date Acknowledged it appears several users, date/time modified. How can it be possible?

We are currently in Team Plan so I don't have any option to view Activity Log to check what has been changed.

This discussion has been closed.