Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Security: why is a stranger requesting access to my smartsheets?

Brian Goodell
Brian Goodell ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Received an email today from smartsheet saying some stranger is requesting access to one of my smartsheets.  How is this happening? 

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Brian,

First, let me assure you that your sheets are secure no one can have access to your data without you specifically giving them access. 

How do you share your sheets? Do you ever email secure sheet links or do you have secure sheets links posting on your website or social networks?

Anyone who has access to that link could click it and request access but remember they cannot access the data just with the link. 

I have seen users in the past, add links to their web pages that were internal websites but the website was not behind a username and password so the links became indexed and searchable on Google. Their data was not compromised but they received sharing requests from unknown email addresses. 

Is this possible for you? If not I can look into this for you if you would like to send me an email with information on the sheet name, time the request was made, and the email address of the user who requested. My email address is travis.hannon@smartsheet.com

This discussion has been closed.