Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Row Sorting

Options
Salli C
Salli C
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am trying to sort a smartsheet where I have some rows at the top that are used for calculations and formulas, so I only want to sort certain rows not all of them.   Is there a way to do this?   I tried locking those rows but that doesn't work, and I tried just highlighting just the rows I want sorted (similar to how it works in Excel), but you can't sort just those it seems to only sort the entire sheet.   Any other options?

Comments

• Stan Adell
    Options

That is an important request I have been concerned about. My reports show those random, unwanted rows that I use for summaries and totals. They should be excluded.

• Etienne Desbiens
    edited 06/09/16
    Options

How about outdenting the top rows? This way, they are always on top... You can also change your criterias while creating your report so you don't see those top lines. (For example, if they have something other lines dont have, filter everything with that something as a criteria and invert it...).

Hope that helps!

Étienne Desbiens

• Salli C
    Options

Thanks for the comments...  I'm actually in a sheet, not a report, but I use these rows for calculations, so if someone looks at it and wants to sort, for example, on a Priority column, it gets all messed up

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Salli,

Yes, you can sort selected rows.

Here's the original sorting

For the Reports, I add a column called [Exclude From Reports] and then check it for the rows I don't want to see on a Report.

Hope this helps.

Craig

RowSort_1.jpg

RowSort_2.jpg

RowSort_3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.