Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Google form → SmartSheet → E-mail Alert

I created a google form that is linked to a smartsheet.  (I had to create a google form because smartsheet doesn't have a multicheck option available for the web form capability).

I'd like to use the alerts capabilities of SmartSheet so when someone fills out the google form, the answers to go the smartsheet, and it will generate an email notification to a number of people.  So far, I've been able to get the answers populated, but no email notification has been generated, even though the alert has been created to notify me when as soon as anything changes.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Christian, most probably the issue here is that if uou make changes to a sheet, quite logically you dont need to be alerted, only if other people make changes will you be alerted. So seems like Smartsheet is taking data from your form and thinks that is entered by you, so ignoring the alert. Test this with someone else changing your sheet data. 

Then if that proves the alert works, you need to test it with someone else filling out your form. 

Try that and see where the issue is? 

Good luck. richard r 

• Hi Christian, Richard's explanation is correct. When a Google Form is entered to your sheet that you've set up, this will get entered into your sheet as if you were the one making the changes. You can track this by adding a System Column for "Created By" or "Modified By" to the sheet. Only if someone else's email is in those columns will you get a notification of changes to the sheet. I've added your vote for being able to get alerted when new Google Form submissions are added to the sheet to our enhancement request list. Thanks for your input!

• Thank you both Richard and Kate.

I tried with having other people fill out the Google Form, and no notifications are sent either.  I added the "created by" column and indeed all the entries are labeled as if I create them all, so logically no emails are being sent.

This discussion has been closed.