Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Feature request: Ability to use "Me" in reports

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi Team,

I think this would be an incredibly useful development that should be blindingly simple to implement - to allow reports to be created and filtered based on "Me" from a contact list column.

This would simply take the loggeed on user's name, whoever that happened to be, rather than selecitng a specific contact from a list.

Benefits:

- A single report can be used to meet hundreds of people's needs.

- Saves massive time creating multiple reports (we have hundreds of project managers/stakeholders)

- Saves massive time chaning reports (e.g. when a colum name is changed)

- Ensures consistency and removes potential for human error 

- Reduces clutter from the home view

This would be a massive deal for our team, and I suspect for many others.

Chris

Comments

• Sign me up for this feature! I'm dreading making 40+ reports for just ONE of my departments.

Jim

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

It would go a long way towards Smartsheet rivalling competitors such as Sharepoint, and it's got to be such an easy feature to implement.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 08/24/16

Hi all-- This is something our development team is considering for a future update to our Reporting functionality and I've added your votes for it to our enhancement request list. We appreciate your input!

• Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We have a couple of updates related to this coming in the fall. The first will be our new sheet filters, which will allow you to name/share and reuse filters on your sheets. The second will be the "Me" feature which it will be available on reports as well as the new filters. Currently we are calling it "Person viewing the sheet/report" but we have also discussed calling it "Logged in user", "Current user", "Current Viewer" and "Whoever is viewing"

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on what they would expect the label to be for this feature. Our concern with "Me" was the person setting up the report would assume it only meant them and not whoever was looking at the report. 

Thanks!

Robin

• Galen Dalrymple
    edited 08/28/16

I vote for Current User!  This will be GREAT!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for Current Viewer. Won't be upset if Current User wins.

Looking forward to the feature improvement.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.