Limiting Auto Number to Specific Range

Options
Jay Duque
Jay Duque ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I'd like to add an auto number column, but I would like to set the specific range in numbers. For example, I need the auto numbers to be between 0 and 250 without duplicating. Is there a way to set those limits? Thanks.

Jay Duque

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jay,

Interesting, what's your use case?

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

As a workaround, you could maybe have an alert or conditional formatting, indicating that it reached 250.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-boldimage

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

autonumber will never duplicate a number. set your first value to a 1 or 0 inside of the autonumber settings and as long as you don't create more than 250 rows it will not go over 250. That said from your description auto number probably isn't the correct solution for you. You probably need a custom formula to produce the results you want. can you describe a little more about the sheet your using and how information is added and subtracted from it?

• Jay Duque
    Jay Duque ✭✭✭
    edited 11/06/19
    Options

Thank you, Andree. I've set up a couple of sheets for team members that need to submit vendor estimates for media buying. The estimate number has to be between 0 and 250, so it corresponds with our internal system. 

I need the auto number to generate an estimate number based on two conditions from two other columns. Client Code(currently a drop down) and Product code(currently a drop down). The estimate number can only be the same if the client code and product code are different.

If client code and product code are the same, then the estimate number has to be different. See attached if that makes sense. 

Do you think perhaps I should have a separate sheet where I add all of the possible estimate numbers based on client code and product code, then on my sheets, I make a formula for the Estimate Number that references the separate sheet, and gives me a new estimate number? Do you know what I mean? 

Thanks again for your help,

Jay Duque

Smartsheet_Example_0.PNG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

I agree with you, creating another sheet with the Estimate Numbers sounds like an excellent solution.

Let me know how it goes or if you need any assistance!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.