Avoid multiple emails sent to same person on an automated workflow

Options
LisaB:-)
LisaB:-) ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everyone, could I please ask for a sense check here?  I have set up this Workflow.  There are several different people in the 'Assigned To' column, and when any of their dates change, I would like Charlotte (their manager) to receive one single email to alert her to that.

It's very possible that their dates could change several times a day when working on the schedule, and if I move one date early in the schedule, then their dates are all going to change as a result of the 'cascade'.  What I want is for Charlotte just to get one email that alerts her, not multiple ones.  I've set the 'Run Workflow' to 'Daily', because I THINK that means that all the changes will be rolled up into one single email at the end of the day - am I right about that?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Capture_1.JPG

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lisa

we have done some interesting work with clients on this since smartsheet improved it's automation. 

You are quite rightly concerned with what I call "Email Bombardment" which has the opposite affect to the intended one and is very annoying. 

What I suggest you explore is turning off email notifications and restricting alerts to within the app. So the user can either login when they have time to deal with such matters, or personally I use the Mobile app to show me my alerts and Notifications, then login on a pc if necessary. 

It is obviously essential that users find Smartsheet helpful not annoying and we have done some interesting trials on this if you wished to discuss your needs, just email us for a free consultation. 

Richardr@smarterbusinessprocesses.com 

• LisaB:-)
    Options

Thanks for this Richard.  In this instance, I really do need to send an email, but just one email.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lisa

I understand that. Our Training manager Debbie might be able to help but you are doing everything as well as you are allowed from what I can see? You may need a helper column? 

We will get back to you if we can help. 

Richard

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Lisa

As far as I can see from your screen shot included in this status, the way you have coded the workflow should meet your requirement.

The one "daily" email to the Manager should list All records that met the condition during the day; so it should provide a list of changes to date entries.

The post looks like you are looking for validation on your workflow, I would say it looks like it should do what you describe you want it to do!

Hope it does!  If after testing it - it doesn't do the expected behaviour (one daily email listing all date changes) then let me know what it did do and we can take it from there :)

Good luck!

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer Consultant & Training Manager

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Lisa,

The third-party service, Zapier is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Scott Willeke
    Options

Hi Lisa,

To answer your question, indeed the "Daily" option should "roll up" multiple instances of that workflow triggering into a single email - which sounds like what you want. I think Smartsheet's built-in Automated Workflows capability should meet your needs just fine here. If they don't, that's my fault because I support the team building that capability and I'd love to learn what we can do to make it work for you. So use this link to setup time with me and I'll see what we can do.