Template question

Product Prioritization Matrix Template

I have a question about this template - specifically the priority column. It doesn't seem to be formula based - but can anyone tell me how this is used and how it's used specific to the template examples?

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Shawn,

You are correct, the template does not have a pre-built formula, so the "PRIO" section does not automatically flag anything.

You could base the Priority symbols on the "Total Score" column by inserting a formula similar to this:

=IF([Total Score]@row >= 60, "High", IF([Total Score]@row >= 40, "Medium", "Low"))

This would return an exclamation mark if the score was equal to or above 60 for that row, a yellow line if the score was under 60 but equal to or above 40, and a blue down arrow if the score was below 40. Drag-fill the formula down the entire column so new entries will then automatically receive a priority rating based on the total score of their criteria.

You can of course adjust what total score equates a Priority by adjusting the numbers in the formula. Does that work for your purposes, or do you have a different type of priority you are looking to record?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    edited 01/01/20

Hi Shawn,

Are you using the first template found on this page: https://www.smartsheet.com/priority-matrix-templates? If so, this page actually has some good information about how to use the Priority symbol column in the rest of the article:

There isn’t a standard formula for creating a total priority score to rank your requirements. Tailor your formula and the weighting criteria and range of assessment value to your team’s focus and the purpose of the evaluation. Wieger uses the following formula: Requirement priority = value% divided by (cost% x cost weight + risk% x risk weight). 

Essentially this means that the column can be formula based, but since the way you want to prioritize will be customized to your specific goals, there's no standard formula for that column set up in the template. You would need to build out a customized IF statement to determine when you would like each symbol to appear.

If you need help creating the formula, it would be good to see a screen capture of the sheet you're working within (remove any sensitive data), along with a list of what criteria you want to be the determining factors for each symbol.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Hi yes, that is the template set I"m using --

So in the example sheet does that mean it's not automatically flagged currently?

• My question then even if I use a formula I'm not sure how to use the data that is there to tell me whether or not priority has gone up or down...

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi Shawn,

You are correct, the template does not have a pre-built formula, so the "PRIO" section does not automatically flag anything.

You could base the Priority symbols on the "Total Score" column by inserting a formula similar to this:

=IF([Total Score]@row >= 60, "High", IF([Total Score]@row >= 40, "Medium", "Low"))

This would return an exclamation mark if the score was equal to or above 60 for that row, a yellow line if the score was under 60 but equal to or above 40, and a blue down arrow if the score was below 40. Drag-fill the formula down the entire column so new entries will then automatically receive a priority rating based on the total score of their criteria.

You can of course adjust what total score equates a Priority by adjusting the numbers in the formula. Does that work for your purposes, or do you have a different type of priority you are looking to record?

• Nope that works great thank you. Next question is how do the criteria score key map to the columns below - like Customer Value/Business Value ?