Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Enhancement Request - Ability to add Metadata to Sheet Names

Jeremy Myers
Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

When on the <home> tab, requesting the ability to add approx 100 characters of metadata to a sheet name that will ride along with the usual <name, sharing, owner, last update> info.  This info would not appear on the sheet tab....

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/12/16

Ah, for some reason I read "tool tip" and got confused. Don't know where I got that from.

When I look at what you call the file browser pane in a workspace, I'm already running out of monitor real estate. 100 characters will be a lot of real-estate.

But ... definitely see a need for something like this.

+1 vote

To get around this (I didn't think it was a problem until now, thank you very much Laughing )

I often create workspace "maps" where I have the sheet/reports listed, with links to them, and a brief discussion of what the contents/purposes are - something like this:

Hope this helps

Craig

Map.jpg

• Jeremy Myers
    Jeremy Myers ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/12/16

Thanks for the response.  I was referring to the pane that appears when the <home> tab is active which shows the workspaces on the left and the file pane on right.

Running out of screen real estate, yup that's a problem.  I find myself hiding or dragging columns to the right until I need them, hence my past request for a utility that would store your preferences for hidden columns.  

You select the columns you want to hide, group them into a name.   The tucks them away as hidden columns and memorizes the relative position of each.

Those names are grouped into a dropdown, sort of like the new filters widget.  You can then quickly select the one you need.   Your sheet would reorganize with the hidden columns popping up in the relative locations desired.  I will write a feature request for that today..... 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And I'll vote for it!

• Hi All—got your vote down for this. I believe our Development team is in the early stages of this type of functionality, but I don't have a timeframe for when it'll be relased in the application.

This discussion has been closed.