Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Linking in the Same Sheet

For large sheets, is there a way to link from rows to other rows within the same sheet.  For example, I have developed a lirbary of sorts with files that fall into different categories.  There are several categories and lots of files in each category.  I was thinking I could have each of the categories at the top of the sheet and link to where they are within the sheet.  Anyhelp is appreciated.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Blair,

You can equate or pull values from one cell to another

=[columnname]23

for row 23 and the columnname column.

You can use that in more complicated formulas

=IF([columnname]23="Bob","Will be late","Will be early")

Here's the help article on functions

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas

Lots of useful info there.

Hope that helps.

Craig

• Charles DESCOTES
    edited 12/02/16

I am not sure to understand you well.

Are all data in one category grouped together? Maybe as children under the aprent holding the category name?

. In this case, a "collapse all" action (only available in the header of the primary column) will provide a summarized view than can help you flying to the right category.

. However you said you have many categories and this trouble could actually be your solution: make one smartsheet per category. Then create a brand new smartsheet that will actually become your turning platform: it will only hold category names with hyperlinks to the related category-smartsheet.

. When you need to consolidate data from difeerent smartsheets, i.e. gathering data from all category for instance. Work with the report engine. Easy to use, see https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522214-creating-reports 

• I think I have confused people - or am not understanding your suggestions.  Below is a screen shot  of the sections/buckets.  Underneath each section is a bunch of different files all linked elsewhere.  Since it has become a big sheet and continues to grow I am wondering if at the top of the sheet I can list all the different categories on the sheet and link to them - all within the same sheet.  Here is the screen shot example.

Buckets.jpeg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Link them where?

I'm still not getting it.

Craig

• Sorry - At the top of the sheet I want to have a row with the name of each section.  So think of it like a table of contents.  At the top of the sheet is the different sections that are linked to lower in the sheet where the section is.  Otherwise there is a lot of scrolling. That is linking - going from a row at the top of the sheet to a row lower in the sheet.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah ... nope.

Have your tried indenting the items under the sections and collapsing them until they are needed?

Unfortunately, there is no keyboard shortcut for expand / collapse all.

Here's another feature that might help ease the pain: 

Ctrl+Shift+F will bring up the Search dialog defaulting to the Current Sheet.

Using your table of contents, at least you'd know what to search for.

Note to Smartsheet: This shortcut is not listed here:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522200-keyboard-shortcuts

Craig

• Blair blair9398
    edited 12/03/16

Great suggestions.  Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.