Upload Attachments

Can i request user to upload their attachment and at the same time, prevent user from seeing other attachments on the same row uploaded by other users?

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @flashock

Hope you are fine, yes you can request the user to upload their attachment by designing automation to do that, but the sharing permission is per sheet not per row so you can't prevent a user from seeing other attachments on the same row uploaded by other users.

the following article will help you to understand the Sharing Permission in Smartsheet

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• flashock
    flashock ✭✭✭✭

Hi Bassam

Thank you! i love the article, it provide a clear picture.

However, let me give a scenario on the flow.

1) there is a web form that allow user A (no access to sheet) to upload document for approval.

2) The form will go through approval process from user B and C (both are viewer access), they will upload a document (user B & C, do not want User A to see the attachment)

3) upon user B & C approval, Automation will request user A to upload a final document.

Issue here : if i set a Request update automation to user A for him to upload an attachment, I will have to select the "attachment", when user A receive "update form" he will be able to upload attachment and at the same time see other attachment that user B & C uploaded.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have you considered using two separate sheets for this process?

Sheet one captures the web form data and copies the row and attachments to sheet two when a new row is added.

Sheet two would include the attachments from sheet one. You could do the approval process on sheet two and do a vlookup to the approval column to sheet one to indicate approval. Would something like that work? Attachments could be included in sheet 2 but sheet 1 would only include the attachments from the form and any newly added ones.

• flashock
    flashock ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/30/20

Hi Mike

I was thinking along this line but hit the wall. Copying from sheet 1 to 2 include attachment.

But you idea is brilliant! it works for me.

User A stay within sheet 1 with attachment they uploaded and eventually they will upload a final document.

User B & C stay with sheet 2 with initial attachments from user A and their uploads is not accessible by user A.

It works perfectly!

Thank you so much! Wishing you and yours health and prosperity in the new year.

Regards

Flashock

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Glad I could help you out! Thanks.