Is there an automated workflow that populates data in cells based on triggers and conditions?

Options

Hi Smartsheet SMEs! Please share any success you've experienced in creating a workflow to automatically populate cells using select triggers and conditions without using a formula.

Thanks in advance for your feedback/suggestions.

Edwina -

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Edwina Sampler-Wright

I hope you're well and safe!

As a possible workaround, you could use the Approval workflow to change values.

There are also 3rd party options.

How would you like to use it?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå thanks for your input! Using the Approval Workflow is a great idea; in lieu, of the below options, I want the 'Action' to populate a text/number field.

Ideally, the workflow should resemble this ---

Trigger = When field is: "A"

Condition = Where field is: "B"

Action = Enter "C" in field: "D"

Thanks again for your help.

Edwina -

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Edwina Sampler-Wright

You're more than welcome!

You'd need to use a dropdown list or add a so-called helper column for the text.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Abraham Sanchez
    Options

Hi @Edwina Sampler-Wright,

I had similar requirment, however I couldn't fine a workflow that that as of today.

I use instead the premiun feature called DataMesh. However is quite trick, because they way I was able to make it work, is by using column to "Econde" the triger conditions, and the use data mesh, so when the Ecode column match (Like a vlookup that trigers when the sheet is change) then data mesh will imput the value associted with that code. Also once the data is imput the ecode column change so it reflect it was applied.

The way I encode the triger condition is that the ecode column is a has a column formula with different if statements, show when all the condition to triger the are met, for example 110-0.

then your data mesh source sheet, can have the different values for different codes.

110-0 Value 1

011-0 Value 2

you can also configure that it only add values and don't replace it. so first condition that triggers set it up and all susecutents, don't change the value any more.

regards,

AS

• Hi @Abraham Sanchez thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely experiment with using the Data Mesh feature and had an enhancement request submitted to create this level of functionality.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Edwina -