Automatic project creation and reporting

02/23/21
Answered - Pending Review

Dear community,

I have a scenario which gives me quite a headache.

I would like to create a form which will be populated by the project requesters for creating projects in Smartsheet based on a set template. The form will have multiple fields. Once the form is submitted it will have to trigger an alert/reminder for approval. If approved then the project should be created based on an existing template. Some milestones of the project + certain fields from the initial form should be copied in a new line in a grid/table file; based on this file a report will be generated which will then feed a chart widget in a dashboard. In the same time, after the project has been created, some other fields from the form should be copied (or placed) in another grid/table file which will generate another report, which in turn will feed another chart widget from the same dashboard.

I can do all of this manually and hyperlink the cells but it's quite a hassle and I would like to automate the entire workflow. I've attached a visual schematic for clarity. Can someone help with the automation steps? I know how to automate some steps, like the decision point for example, but I have no idea how to "make" the system create a project based on a trigger + template, or how to automatically hyperlink cell information from one table to another.

Regards

Answers

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mihai Nedelcu

I hope you're well and safe!

A solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Control Center.

Is that an option?

More info: 

Let me know if you want to explore the Control Center option or another workaround.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Bassam.M KhalilBassam.M Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mihai Nedelcu

Hope you are fie, please check the following article Control Center Overview i think you will find some help about your request.

Best Regards

Bassam.M Khalil

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for other Smartsheet Community members to find this solution or help to answer their questions.

• Hello @Andrée Starå , @Bassam.M Khalil

I don't know if you are referring to the same product. What I could find is:

Control Center is a premium offering available for purchase to Smartsheet customers using a business plan or higher. 

My organization does have a business plan but I didn't find this Control Center. When I try to logon to it I get the below error:

You do not have access to any Control Center Programs. Contact a Control Center Program Lead in your organization to obtain access.

Is there something I need to do to enable it? Do I need to contact the Smartsheet team for this?

Regards,

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mihai Nedelcu

It's a Premium add-on solution, so it's not included in the Business license.

I can help if it's an option you'd want to explore.

I'd be happy to schedule a quick chat to discuss it more.

How does that sound?

Please e-mail me at [email protected]and we will take it from there.

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.