Creating a chart from non numeric values

I have created a form for users to fill out based on their experiences with a certain process. They will be asked questions such as "were instructions clear" and they can answer Very Clear, Somewhat Clear, Unclear. I was trying to create a pie chart from this sheet that shows how many users selected Very Clear vs. Somewhat Clear vs Unclear. When I created a dashboard and added a chart, it only shows me each individual entry and what was selected. I am looking to create a chart that shows the total, such as 10/30 selected Very Clear, 15/30 selected Somewhat Clear, and 5/30 selected Unclear. Please help me understand what columns I need to create or how to go about creating such a chart. Thank you.

Answers

• Cristina Ayala
    Cristina Ayala ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking I may need to make another column with an IF formula that states "if the entry = unclear, add 1 to [this field/column], if entry = somewhat clear, add 1 to [this field/column, if entry = very clear, add 1 to [this field/column]" then create a SUM formula to place that on the chart.

Some other factors I am not sure how they impact this is that the Primary Column is currently being used as the Users Name. All entries to this sheet are through the form.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/14/21

Hi @Cristina Ayala 

Hope you are fine, Please add a copy of your sheet or a screenshot (after removing or replacing any sensitive information). This will make it easier for me to provide the appropriate answer to your question. i think the Staked column chart type will help you more .

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cristina Ayala 

you need to create a summary sheet and use COUNTIFS function to count each criteria then create Staked column chart 

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Cristina Ayala
    Cristina Ayala ✭✭✭✭

@Bassam Khalil Does this mean I need to create a new sheet and cross-reference this one to make a "Summary" sheet, or should I be using the Summary option on the original sheet?

I made a Sheet Summary on this sheet and added formulas for the CountIf but I am not sure how to get these onto a dash since it is not visible when selecting the sheet.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Cristina Ayala

create a report from sheet summary and use it as a data source for your chart.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!