Outlook Connector (Desktop Outlook 365) Tool Not Visible When Sending a Message

Greetings! I have successfully installed the Smartsheet Outlook connector for Office 365 (desktop). Upon opening a received email the Connector tool is visible and works properly.

However, when I create a new email, the Connector is not visible in the ribbon:

What changes do I need to make to the Connector configuration to make this feature visible?

Thank you,

John

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @John Crick

This sounds like a question better suited to Microsoft support.

I found this article online that explains how to customize your ribbon in Office 365: How To Enable Add-ins and Connectors in Outlook

From this article, it looks like you can select an option in your Settings:

Then in the “Message Surface” section, switch on the checkbox for the add-in you want to pin.

However I believe this pins the add-in to the Message and not to that top bar. There's an example image on this Smartsheet Help Article, under the heading "Use the Smartsheet for Outlook Add-In": Smartsheet for Outlook Add-in

Cheers,

Genevieve

• John Crick
    John Crick ✭✭✭

Genevieve,

Good morning and thank you for the quick response. Please confirm that the connector should be usable from a new Outlook email.

Before reaching out for Support I did go through the steps to customize the ribbon (similar to the above). The Smartsheet connector was not listed as an available add-on to a new email ribbon. Just want to make sure it should be. If so, do I need to reinstall the connector?

Thank you,

John

• Genevieve P.

Hi @John Crick

My apologies, I don't have Desktop Outlook to test how to configure add-ins in the Create Email window. From what I can see based on Microsoft's help articles (here), when you're writing a new email message, you should be able to access other installed add-ins from the Message ribbon, yes.

There may be an additional setting to be configured for this to show up; if you don't receive a response from other Smartsheet members, I would suggest posting in the Microsoft Community, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• John Crick
    John Crick ✭✭✭

Thank you, Genevieve. It appears that the add-in is only available when reading an email. If I open a received or sent email, the connector is visible. I can customize the ribbon to remove or add the connector. But when creating an email, the connector is not listed as being an available add-on to the ribbon.

I'll reach out to the Microsoft Community.

John

• Genevieve P.

Thank you for this information, John! I'm sure it will be useful for others to know this as well, I appreciate you following up.