Teams Integration with Workflows

Options
steveV
steveV ✭✭
edited 07/01/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

We have Smartsheet setup with MS Teams and Smartsheet sends alerts to a smartsheet specific channel. However, when I am building a workflow and add my organization there are no teams displaying in the drop down. We talked to MS and everything looks correct on the admin side. Does this feature actually work? If so, how to I get it to find my teams? I am an owner of the channel so I expected to see them.

We've tried a multitude of things and nothing works. What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• steveV
    steveV ✭✭
    Options
  • Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @steveV

Only public Teams channels can receive notification from Smartsheet; is it possible that the channels you have set up are Private ones? (See: Receive Alerts and Requests in Microsoft Teams)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• steveV
    steveV ✭✭
    Options

I created a public channel as a test and it didn't work.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @steveV

If you've made the public channel since the initial test, can you try re-connecting it to Teams? It may just need to be jumpstarted to recognize the new channel:

Edit the workflow, select a different action, then switch the action block back to Send to Microsoft Teams. After the switch back, use the "add organization" tab to sign in to Microsoft Teams and re-fresh the Workflow.

Let me know if this worked!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• steveV
    steveV ✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

I actually did that several times over a few days. No luck. The teams dropdown is always greyed out.

• steveV
    steveV ✭✭
    Options

This is my test team and as you can see, it's public.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @steveV

Thank you for clarifying and for sending these screen captures! There is another possibility for why you're unable to send an alert to Microsoft Teams.

Can you check to ensure that the Sheet Workflow Permissions is set to Unrestricted? (From the gear icon in the workflow manager.)

If you're unable to select Unrestricted (to send to third party applications), this may be intentionally disabled by your company's System Admin. See: Control who is notified about alerts and requests

Genevieve

• steveV
    steveV ✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Perhaps that's part of the problem. I am able to change it unrestricted.

After saving that setting, I tried again, to no avail.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @steveV

Good to see that you have it set to Unrestricted, that would be needed to send to any Teams channel. However I have to admit that I am now currently out of ideas for why your team is not showing up as an option.

The very last thing I would ask you try (which it sounds like you have done already), is that now that you have the correct configurations set up, re-create everything from the start... as in, delete the workflow, log out of Teams, log out of Smartsheet, log back in to both, re-create the workflow, and see if it somehow now picks up your public channel.

Please also ask a colleague who has access to this channel and this sheet see if they can create the workflow, or if they're seeing the same issue.

Thank you, and I hope you have a good weekend!

Genevieve

• Luminosity
    Options

Was there any resolution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing in which the ORG has connected but team/channel are greyed out. Something is not talking to the other

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Luminosity

If your Teams channel is public, and your sheet is set to Unrestricted permissions for workflows, then you should be able to create a workflow to the correct Teams channel. Please reach out to Smartsheet Support with screen captures and potentially even a screen recording so they can troubleshoot this with you!

Cheers,

Genevieve