Freeze Column issue

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 04/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Good afternoon,

We have a Freeze set to maintain the view of a certain columns that are referred to throughout the day. However, the freeze doesn't actually work as expected, as almost every time I go into our sheet the pane has been moved either direction which defeats the purpose of keeping certain columns visible at all times.

I've even looked at the activity icon to see if I could tell who is moving it, but that data isn't captured.

Is this a possible a glitch in the programming, though it has been happening ever since we implemented this feature?

Blessings,

Loann

Answers

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/08/22

I have the same issue on a sheet shared between two departments, sometimes its positioned based on what I want to see, other times base on what the other department would be interested in.

I am pretty sure you fighting with another user of the sheet

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah - I wish it would work like Excel (and believe me, I RARELY say that about anything in SS!!!). If you freeze a pane, it doesn't move.

Thus, it really isn't a freeze, per se. 🤔

Thanks, Paul - at least I'm not alone in my consternation with this particular aspect. 😎

• I'm having the same issue. The problem is that I don't have another department using my sheet. it is just me.

Very frustrating to freeze a column then the next day have it moved. My only fix is to unfreeze then refreeze the column each day. Very strange.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh...that is truly frustrating, @Shawn_Durfee. However, for mine I'm able to just grab the freeze line and move it back to where it needs to be.

Will yours not allow you to do so?

I'd think this is an issue that a fix should be implemented for quickly since the freeze function isn't really working.

• @Loann McGee @Shawn_Durfee I'm having the same issue! I've actually watched it change the freeze while I'm in the sheet. We believe it happens when there's more than one user in the sheet but neither user is actually changing the view. I'm going to log a help ticket to see if we can get it resolved. We have to unfreeze and freeze multiple times a day. It's driving us crazy!

• ARafter
    ARafter ✭✭

Hello, I'm having the same issue as described above. Was a resolution ever reached?

Thanks!

• I am suspicious that this has to do with switching between a HD and 4k monitor. I have 4k monitors at my desk at work, but only 1080 monitors at home. If I open it on a lower resolution and then go back to higher (or vice versa), the frozen pane seems to not work as expected.

It seems to allow me to expand the row manually, but typically it is easier to just unfreeze and refreeze the panes.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It happens regardless of my work or home computer. I finally just undid all the freeze panes due to the frustration of it all.

• I've found that if I change the dimensions of my browser (going to a smaller browser screen from full screen) it does this. Smartsheet does not record that anyone made the change because it's automatically happening when I adjust the browser size.

This has been driving me crazy for a long time and I would love to have this fixed so that the freeze column doesn't move. I'd also like to be able to lock it down for the sheets I own so that no one else can move it either. It's painful to have to move the frozen column line multiple times a day.

• People freeze columns so that they are always in view. When they disappear from view when the freeze point moves on its own, it is not only frustrating, it is really confusing as a sheet user. Freezing columns is a really important basic spreadsheet function. Is this being addressed by Smartsheet at all?

• Seeing same issue.

We have several users with different screens sizes and resolutions. Many of those users use zoom settings other than 100%.

As with many fundamental Smartsheet issue resolutions, this one is likely deep in the backlog. Been waiting for over 5 years for some of the basics to be resolved / added. Regardless, the product brings tremendous value, and we just live with the quirks.