Maximum Cell Limit

Hello,

I know the maximum number of cells in a sheet is 500,000 cells in any combination of columns/rows. We use a form to collect data from our field staff. Some columns are not mandatory except when certain responses are provided. So, when it is submitted, there could be several cells without data because of how the responses were provided. My question is if it does not have data, does that cell count against the 500,000 cell limit or is it only when there is actual data there? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BFuller Yes, they count. The 500,000 cell limit is simply Columns X Rows. The max number of rows is 20,000, and the max number of columns I believe is 200. So any combination of columns x rows that equals 500,000 hits the limit.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BFuller

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Jeff's excellent advice/answer.

The limit for columns is 400. (see below)

Sheet maximums:

• Rows: 20,000
    • Columns: 400
    • Cells: 500,000
    • Characters in a cell: 4,000

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BFuller
    BFuller ✭✭✭

@Jeff Reisman and @Andrée Starå

Hello and thank you both for your responses. Our form has a couple of starting points that go off on different paths depending on how they answer questions. One path might use 120 columns whereas another might use 5. I was thinking of having responses go to different sheets via automation and then use a report to regather all the different parts so we could fuel our dashboard. Do you know if reports have the same limitations? Thanks in advance!

Hope you both are having a wonderful week.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BFuller

I know that a report can handle more than the maximum number of rows when pulling from multiple sheets... however it will only display a maximum of 500 rows at a time. You have to click on "next" in order to page through to see all the rows in sets of 500 when there are more than 500 in the report. I don't know how this might affect a dashboard pulling data from a report, you would have to test that unless someone else on here knows the answer.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BFuller

Happy to help!

As far as I know, the same 500-row page limit in a Report on a Dashboard is the same.

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.