Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Option to Not Include Sheet Link on Notifications

Options

Comments

• Ian_D
    Ian_D ✭✭
    Options

Really annoying when all you want to do is send an attachment link. What's even more annoying is the attachment link is generated BELOW the unwanted sheet link.

I'm really annoyed.

• Michelle DeWitt
    Options

Definitely in favor of leaving the sheet link off and allowing an option for attachments w/o links...this is holding us back from going live on a project as well, so others don't have access to the entire sheet info (or continue to ask for access).

• Makiko Joans
    Makiko Joans ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Should have an option to show or not to show. Thank you.

• Annette M. Waddell
    Options

Having this functionality in place would greatly assist with our process.

We send notifications (inclusive of several rows) to others outside our domain. Currently, we have a workaround to send the notification to an internal person and then modify the email prior to forward, i.e., remove all links to the sheet. This workaround is effective but not efficient. 

• Anthony DAmbrosio
    Options

When creating an automation to alert someone when an attachment has been attached to a row, it would be nice if you could just send the link to the attachment only and not the sheet. Especially if the attachment needs to go to multiple external customers that you don't want them to have access to the sheet.

• Carlos HC
    Options

The fact that this request started in June of 2022 and people are still commenting on the benefits of this change should mean that the feature needs to be added. I agree with everyone that we need to be able to share reports and other notifications without the link. It creates confusion to the users. It becomes overwhelming to the sheet's owner when receiving multiples emails a day from people requesting access to the sheet, and having to explain multiple times the reasons why the access cannot be granted.

Is there yet a timeline for the change? Looks like the last update from Smartsheet about this was over a year ago (Dec 2022)

• Estelle Redding
    Estelle Redding ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Anthony DAmbrosio - have you tried embedding a link as a column? It only works if you copy the full path (no hyperlinks, sadly). The downside is the requirement to scroll through the email to see all the links if the recipient is listed in multiple rows. FYI, if the person is shared to the sheet, they will receive the sheet link, which is why you see the sheet in both the body of the message and in the footer.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Estelle Redding , if I understand you correctly this would involve having to manually search for the url for an attachment, then individually copy/pasting it into that added column for every applicable row. This does not strike me as practicable. Rather, and ideally, having the option when building the workflow be “Links to sheet and/or specific fields” would be so much more preferable.

• Estelle Redding
    Estelle Redding ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Cleversheet - correct. The person who stored the document in a location that enables hyperlinks (i.e., Google Drive or Sharepoint) knows the link and can add it to the relevant column. The workflow captures the column in the body of the message using double brackets - {{column header}}.

The downside is the need to create documents through the right-click menu option and then download them into a central repository instead of using a workflow. This is feasible if the activity is limited and the frequency is less than [whatever cycle avoids diminishing returns] but impractical if the manual process adds X+ minutes daily to someone's workload. Better to simply allow attachments in notifications without the sheet link!

• Jan M.
    Options

It would be so helpful for us to be able to leave off the link and sheet details from the automated email, and just include a brief message we write with the PDF attachment of the document from Document Builder process. We are preparing to launch this form soon so I am hoping for this option to come through with the automation set up.

• banana
    Options

Our team also utilize dynamic view as an alternative access instead of the direct original smartsheet access. And by having the notification sending the sheet link, it throws off our team members with limited dynamic view access since it links to the sheet... It would be so much better if they don't link to the sheet directly. I support this feature!

• Anthony DAmbrosio
    Options

Hello Smartsheet Community,

Is there a way to only include an attachment in an automation without include a link to the sheet? I have created a personalized agreement using document builder and want to send out the agreement using an automation. I just don't want external customers having access to the sheet and the only way I can send the attachment is to include the link to the sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Anthony DAmbrosio

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

To clarify, nobody can access the sheet if they aren't shared with it.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.