Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Dynamic dropdowns - Waterfall request

Options

Comments

• Chrissy_Baxter
    Options

If I have a list of employees I would like to manage it in one place so if I change it once the change is updated anywhere the drop is used. I would also the like the drop to shrink based on options chosen in other columns. For example if I have a list of employees I would like to show only the employees in the state I selected and maybe shrink it further if I select a manager so it only shows the employees that report to that manager....

• jwilson
    jwilson ✭✭✭
    Options

I would too love to see dynamic dropdown lists for forms.

• ibanezr01
    Options

This is an essential requirement for many purposes, such as assigning homework to students in a class.

Both Excel and Google Sheets come with this feature built-in.

I won't consider using Smartsheet unless it includes this functionality.

• Juan Panzardo
    Options

Excellent Idea!!!

• Adri
    Adri ✭✭
    Options

Filtered drop-down lists according to category selection are much needed in forms.

When I select the category, I need a filtered sub-category accordingly.

Eg:

Category

Software

Hardware

Sub Category

Quickbooks

CRM

PC

Laptop

• Juan Panzardo
    Options

💪 Great idea! And if the values could be obtained through a formula, coming from another sheet, it would be almost perfect. 😉

• Ascottnewcombe
    Options

This would increase the usage of Dynamic view for a number of our users. Please put it in soon

• Joe Calderazzo
    Joe Calderazzo ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would be a HUGE feature! You could even reuse current functionality to get you at least 1/2 way there - by exposing your Cell Linking functionality to the Values field in the Drop-Down selection of Column Properties, this would be a major step in the right direction.

• Stacey C
    Stacey C ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would love to create a drop down list that references a 'Master Table' of employees. Several of our KPI tracking sheets require selection of Employee Name and for every new hire class, I must open 8-12 different sheets to update the dropdown list with new names. For any sheets that use Form entry, I also update the logic so I know when a form user has entered an employee name that is NOT on the list to ensure all are represented.

My dream is to be able to create a master list of employees and have all my various sheets with the "Employee Name" dropdown reference back to that master sheet. With 2-4 new hire classes each month, it would be a huge time saver! Thanks!

BTW - we are on the Enterprise plan, no add-ons or extra features at this time.

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Completely agree!! This is a much needed feature!!

• kxgarin
    kxgarin ✭✭
    Options

We absolutely need this capability!

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would be great if I could select from a drop down in Column 1 - and that choice will then determine which drop down appears in the Next Column. Cascading or waterfalling dropdowns is a feature that I wish was a lot sooner on the roadmap that some of the other items that are being released. This would be insanely useful to our users.

• Marc Shecter
    Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1,000,000 to have Waterfall/Hierarchical/Conditional/Cascading dropdown lists.

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a wonderful idea but it would put in the dent of use case for DataShuttle.

It would be nice if I could update dropdown data via the API though, currently I'm only able to remove an entire row and remake the entire row with new dropdown data. I'm assuming this is by design, as like said previously -- would put a dent in the use case for datashuttle.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Mattisphere
    Mattisphere ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, by using formulas, but once you've selected anything in that column other than the "default" value displayed by the formula, the formula is gone. There is no way to set default values in drop downs otherwise and there is no way to filter drop down lists based on a value in another field.