Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Folder-level permissions

Comments

• AWentz
    AWentz ✭✭
    edited 05/21/24

Totally agree!! Being able to share at a folder and not the entire Workspace would be a significant improvement with sharing. It would allow for more granularity and remove the 'all or none' at a workspace level.

We were actually caught by surprise that sharing is at the Workspace level and NOT the folder level.

• If not a folder level Permission, the ability to create "sub" or "child" workspaces within a workspace would be nice to have, especially on the gov side.

If I have one whole process, being able to break it down into smaller junk but still under the same "parent workspace" would help to keep permissions a bit cleaner. Especially, if the person has access as an admin to a bunch of workspaces.

• Cory_OWA
    Cory_OWA ✭✭✭

When I sort ideas by top, this is #1. It has 537 votes. Smartsheet posted to say that they like it too, back in 2022.

If it's no longer possible or valid, can it be relabeled and filtered out?

• Jon Barto
    Jon Barto ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck getting Smartsheet to actually do something with this. The community has been asking for this for years!!!!! But oh look we have new dashboard colors!! Come on Smartsheet!! Make folder level permissions happen!

• Katie Baxendale
    edited 05/21/24

Has there been any update on Folder permissions??????? 🙋‍♀️

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see this and have put this in as a request for years! Then Workspaces can function much like a OneDrive where you can give access to one item or a folder. And it would also be great if you could remove permissions from certain people from a sheet in a workspace or a folder.

• It has been a few years now, are we getting any closer to being able to share at the folder level? I just had to break a workspace that had 6 folders grouping the data up into different spaces, making it more difficult for teams to see all of their work.

• This is vitally important because of customer access. This would limit to a folder versus to just a dashboard and certain sheets (all individually needed at this time).

• JIDEATTURRA
    JIDEATTURRA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This would be of tremendous value to many of my clients - particularly as we scale within Enterprise organizations and have a plethora of Smartsheet assets. It then becomes juggling permissions with new workspaces etc. or at the granular level - I see this mostly when information is sensitive and has a restricted audience - as we scale, teams begin to configure so many permissions and add new workspaces etc. to manage that it becomes a bit chaotic for them to not only manage permissions but for individuals to navigate to respective assets. This would be a welcomed feature to navigate this!

• JIDEATTURRA
    JIDEATTURRA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is also especially true when you have a program workspace with respective projects underneath - the workspace permissions then become relatively ambiguous as you look to share with the relevant parties for each project!

• isa.ohara
    isa.ohara ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to add in my 2 cents - I 1000% second, third, fourth, and fifth every. single. comment. here -

I see that it is "on the roadmap" - will it be coming soon?

To use the API to set up our app to give permissions is now timing out because our workspace is so full of folders, sheets, dashboards, and reports. We have 53 assets in one client folder (which is a different topic) and MOST of those need to be shared.

When things get messed up - it takes forever and mistakes are made (especially by me - because I get bored clicking and clicking and clicking) - all would be solved with folder level permissions… PLEASE release this by the time Engage gets here (if not sooner!!!).

Thank you!!

• JJensen
    JJensen ✭✭

Many from our company would highly recommend having this feature. It is very time consuming to provide permissions at a sheet level when you can't allow access to the full Workspace. Seems like a logical step to have permissions at the folder level.

• Sylvia Kay
    Sylvia Kay ✭✭✭✭✭

Very essential! I have very large workspaces and struggle greatly we Workspace-level permissions!

SYLVIA KAY | DIRECTOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT

PLATFORM ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY TEAM

AMERICAN EXPRESS GLOBAL BUSINESS TRAVEL

M: 404-664- 1025 | SYLVIA.KAY@AMEXGBT.COM

AMEXGLOBALBUSINESSTRAVEL.COM

follow us on twitter: @AmexGBT

follow us on instagram: @AmexGBT

• jacob.alabi
    jacob.alabi ✭✭✭✭

It would really be good to have folder/sub folder sharing abilities as against sharing individual sheets/reports/dashboards.

It's really time consuming when you have to share the sheets to individual people and they more more when you have to take them out.

• It would be incredibly useful to be able to share a folder within a workspace to help protect data, but not have to share 10+ sheets with the folder separately.