Rich Text formatting in cells

Options

Comments

• WasteKnot
    Options

Totally agree this is needed.

• Digikiwam
    Options

Spin off (maybe Phase 2 of Rich Text) the ability to use Rich Text Format within a cell, as part of a formula. So if you have text underlined in a cell, you can use a formula to find cells with underlined text?

• emilydc
    emilydc ✭✭
    Options

This is such a useful feature in Excel I would LOVE to see it implemented in Smartsheet. Rich formatting is helpful everywhere and I wish it was always available.

• SimplyElegant
    Options

Well, after reading all of these comments requesting Rich Text Formatting, it is obvious to me that it is not a high priority of the company, or they do not know how to get it done.

Rich Text formatting within a text box on forms is necessary.

• Andra T
    Andra T ✭✭
    Options

I definitely agree! There currently isn't a way to change the format of just a part of the data from the cell in Smartsheet. By design all the format changes are apply to the entire cell. I would like the ability to call out only certain parts of my data within a cell without having to bold or highlight everything. This would really improve documentation and make using SmartSheets much more intuitive to senior management and stakeholders.

• Desiree
    Desiree ✭✭
    Options

Has there been any progress on this? It would be useful to use rich text within a cell to emphasize specific section of text or create hierarchy using color, bold, italics, bullets. Ideally the rich text in a sheet would also show in the cards or calendar view when clicking on the details of an entry, and would transfer over to the reports and dashboard. This will be helpful when wanting to draw the attention of senior management to specific details.

• Alexandra Bancroft
    Options

Bump!

This would greatly increase the readability of data in our cells. Working on converting a contact sheet for our organization that has been housed in excel. Each department is a row I have columns that hold information for the department lead, department admin, etc. Some departments have more than one lead or admin and I store their titles or other info in italics as well as tasks/other relevant data using color coded text. Might make my sheet in box for now instead of smartsheet until this feature is released.

• David Brandt
    David Brandt ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Definitely would value rich text capability in a cell. Would be useful to be able to share this into dashboards and calendar apps with flexible formatting.

• Seatora
    Seatora ✭✭✭
    Options

Smartsheet is amazing for breaking down lengthy contracts into smaller parts for review/comment/historical reference/etc. The use of strike-through, hi-lighting, italics, bold, bullets etc. are preserved and can be added. It is helpful to be able to call out specific information to stakeholders.

• Ole
    Options

Agree with this request as it will greatly enhance the value of Smartsheet when using in commercial applications where the output look and feel as well as readability is of the essence.

Formatting in the cells would not only improve the on screen display of cells but also greatly enhance the output in the Document Builder and Reports thereby supporting professional formatting of the whole document and increase the Smartsheet market for commercial professional documents such as:

• contracts
    • project descriptions
    • change requests,
    • marketing campaigns
    • many other applicationswhere you today can only use the “flat” style of Smartsheet cells.

Hence, formatting of cells would be a substantial selling point in all markets where professional looking documents are a must.

P.S. This comment in itself is a good example why formatting of cells in Smartsheet is needed 😁👍

Headings, images and tables would also be very useful:

Headings like this

Images like this:

Inline links like this:

• rshean
    Options

I love all the ideas above. It would be super helpful to be able to format only part of the text in a cell instead of the whole cell. We have a spreadsheet that looks like this that we use to keep track of larger projects and all the steps needed to complete the project. It'd be super helpful if we could strike through parts of the cell instead of the whole cell. Here's what it looks like in excel. I'd love to be able to do this in smartsheet too! :D