Sharing Rows for Editing/Workflows

Hi all,

I have a smartsheet which is an 'adverse events register'. When a form is filled out, the person will tick if this adverse event is a 'security', 'estates' or 'health and safety' event.

Both the H&S and the Estates teams have smartsheet licenses, and have access to all of the information in the whole sheet. The Security team does not have any smartsheet licenses as these adverse events (around 10-20 a year) are the only things they use Smartsheets for.

We have a workflow set up to alert them when a row is relevant to them - the row is sent to them, and they are able to add comments to it. We would like them to be able to actually edit text in the row, though, as opposed to just attaching comments to the row as a whole. Is it possible to give them access to edit the row, without giving them access to the whole smartsheet?

Alternatively, we have been looking at setting up a workflow to copy rows related to the security team on to a security-team designated Adverse Events register; however:

a) will they be able to access and edit this type of smartsheet without a license?

b) if they can access and edit this security specific smartsheet, is there a workflow or formula to enable any edits done on this Security Adverse Events register, to automatically show up on the original master Adverse Events Register?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @nicole.turner

I hope you're well and safe!

• To edit, they don't need to have a license. Is it ok for the Security team to have access to the sheet, or is it essential that they only should be able to see their rows?
    • Which Smartsheet plan do you have?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå ;

It is vital that they do not have access to the whole sheet, we only want them to see information in their rows.

We are on the Business plan, I believe!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nicole.turner

Ok.

There are a couple of options.

• Using Update Requests
    • Copying/Moving the information to their sheet
    • Premium App, Dynamic View

Would any of those options work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå ,

The main priority here is that whatever happens needs to be automatic (like a workflow); I was under the impression that update requests had to be sent out manually (correct me if I'm wrong?)

I think the copying/moving information to their own sheet is currently looking like our best option, but this will only really work if any information they put in on their sheet is copied back to the corresponding row on the master sheet. Is there a workflow or automation for this, so that we don't have to go in and manually copy all their edits over to the master sheet?

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nicole.turner

No, you can set up Automated Update Requests that trigger a recurrence or when something specific happens.

That will be my recommendation if it works.

The copy row process could also work, but if they update the same as you fill in/update, you would need to add multiple helper columns to show what the Security team has entered/changed. If they always only change their fields, it would be simpler, but I'd recommend starting to explore if option one would work.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I have experimented with the update request automation, however this seems to only allow them access to the row one time, and it cannot then be revisited. Ideally we would like them to be able to update as many times as they need to; therefore the secondary sheet seems to work well. However, I'm not certain how to set up the communication between the two sheets. It will be predominantly the security team looking after those rows, so it there doesn't need to be differentiation between who has updated what - as long as there is not a duplication of information.

Do you know a way of sharing the information put in to the copied row smartsheet, back to the corresponding row on the master smartsheet?