Can you group columns?

Options
PeggyLang
PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a very large Smartsheet that contains contact info, partners, dates for various deliverables, financials, etc. I'm wondering if there is a way to group columns that reference similar tasks thereby make moving around the sheet a little more efficient?

For example there are 14 columns that pertain to permitting, 5 columns pertain to bidding, columns for construction, columns for signage, etc. Currently we have the columns blocked off by colour. But if we want to enter updates to columns on the extreme right I believe the only way to get way over there is to scroll. I was hoping I could enter a range name or similar and be taken directly to the column section I wish to work with?

Thoughts?

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @PeggyLang

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Using multiple reports (one per section)
    • Advanced workflow in the Premium App, Dynamic View.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KT_H
    KT_H ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately this is not possible in Smartsheet.

A couple of suggestions for how I have managed similar data in the past.

1. Create reports that limit the visible number of columns, using critical colums + categorical columns. So for example: you would include contact info, partners, key dates, and then permitting columns for a "Permitting Report". These reports can then be accessed individually or placed on a dashboard to keep everything in context.
    2. Color coding + Conditional Formatting - you are already doing this, but this is a common practice for matching like data together, I usually provide this context to key stakeholders so they know only "blue" columns apply to them. The addition of conditional formatting can make it easier to point out data that requires attention. Examples being highlighting missing dates in red, or highlighting text in yellow when it hasn't been updated in the last 7 days, etc.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @PeggyLang

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Using multiple reports (one per section)
    • Advanced workflow in the Premium App, Dynamic View.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KT_H
    KT_H ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately this is not possible in Smartsheet.

A couple of suggestions for how I have managed similar data in the past.

1. Create reports that limit the visible number of columns, using critical colums + categorical columns. So for example: you would include contact info, partners, key dates, and then permitting columns for a "Permitting Report". These reports can then be accessed individually or placed on a dashboard to keep everything in context.
    2. Color coding + Conditional Formatting - you are already doing this, but this is a common practice for matching like data together, I usually provide this context to key stakeholders so they know only "blue" columns apply to them. The addition of conditional formatting can make it easier to point out data that requires attention. Examples being highlighting missing dates in red, or highlighting text in yellow when it hasn't been updated in the last 7 days, etc.