Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can smartsheet do this

Options
HighStrung
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I'm new here but have watched multiple webinars and read the getting started info. Before I invest a lot of time in this, I'm wondering if smartsheet has the ability to link two sheets with a one-to-many relationship. For my purposes, I'd like to have one sheet of open orders and another sheet of lineitems. There can be multiple lines per order but each line can be on only one order. I've seen the "link" ability but I'm not sure it's intended for this and I would love for the "order" sheet to be updated as individual lines are completed. For instance, I work for a company that makes jewelry. If we get order 001 that has 3 lineitems (001-1, 001-2, 001-3) and each lineitem is assigned to be made by a different employee. As each employee completes their assigned lineitem, they flag the lineitem as complete. Once all lines are complete, could smartsheet update the order itself to complete so we know to ship it? Any recommendations for structuring this? Would each order be like a project, or would another method be better? Thanks for your help. 

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Highly strung! 

What you are looking for is not there in Smartsheet out of the box, but with some careful workflow design work you can get most of what you seek and provide good visibility to your team on order processing and delivery but much of it will need manual updates. 

If you do want to Automate it, you will need to us either an API linkage or Smartsheet's Datamesh would certainly help. If you want the full works automated then you can use Smartsheet as the Data Source and build an App workflow in Appsheet for this. 

What I suggest you do is get the maximum out of Smartsheet first because it will probably give you 80% of what you seek, then evaluate the benefits of Automation vs the costs? We can help you with that if need be, but why not do all the easy stuff first, it might be enough? 

Hope that helps

RichardR 

• HighStrung
    Options

Great! Thanks so much! You're absolutely right with benefits vs. cost. Right now it's not necessary but I need a solution that's scalable and it sounds like this will provide that in the future as we grow. I appreciate your help and will look into everything you mentioned. 

Margaret @ High Strung

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to have helped Margaret. 

Dont forget that Smartsheet are constantly innovating too! 

RichardR 

This discussion has been closed.