Get Started

Saving a "Form" for later use without submitting as of yet

Options

Comments

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/01/23
    Options

This can be done by creating a helper column, and then appending the fields with @row formulas using URL-Query parameters.

This is what it will look like:

=IF([Latest Entry]@row = 1, [Base Form Link]@row + "?NAME=" + [NAME]@row + "&Training Row 1=" + [Training Row 1]@row

This will create a hyperlink that can be referenced to update specific data already entered via form. Of course, the field names will be updated, but this is simply the gist of it.

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• Anonymous2023
    Options

I am trying to use Smartsheet to gather a large amount of data which is time consuming for our partners. It would be great if a save and complete later feature could be added to the forms so they can chip away at it.

Thank you

• DLUN
    DLUN ✭✭
    Options

Alternatively, if a user could submit a form, but then pull back up their previously submitted forms to be edited and re-submitted.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/23
    Options

Check out whether this workaround might have potential to meet your need. Agreed it would be ideal if Smartsheet were to create a native solution for us, but in the meantime—although very slightly cumbersome—it's possible to achieve the basic intended outcome: Someone can submit a form, and then any time later submit a separate simple form that launches for them an update request to edit the original form's contents.

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NaomiH I’ll be interested to learn whether this workaround could help you get by in the meantime. I realize it’s nowhere near as elegant as a native Save & Resume would be, but could perhaps help you stumble forward.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi all,

There has been an update in the Smartsheet Mobile app that addresses this idea! Please check out the announcement post here:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/16/24
    Options

A huge step in the right direction. Thanks for that! We have one massive and complex form in particular (required by federal regulation; can't condense) and we can now add “use mobile app” guidance at the top.

Next please put cookies to work in the standard web interface so the same benefit will accrue for computer-based users.

• vdemattei
    vdemattei ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This may be a very small step in the right direction... However, large forms that require a save and continue feature are very likely NOT being accessed from a mobile device. What is the timeline to implement this feature for desktop users?

My client would be willing to pay extra for this one feature. In fact, they are ready to pull the trigger on a completely separate product just because smartsheet doesn't allow save and continue in their forms.

• GMichal
    GMichal ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I currently have multiple use cases for accepting applications and requests for different parts of our business. In many cases, the applications (intake forms) are long and require a bit of research to complete on the part of the applicant. Since a form cannot be saved, we have had to purchase JotForm to provide us these missing features and then had to purchase Zapier to move the JotForm data to Smartsheet. It is a workable solution but I don't like all of the handoffs when we are using Smartsheet to begin with for our workflow.

Also, the other missing piece in a Smartsheet form is the ability to have multiple upload fields so that we can request a document and be sure that something was uploaded for each request in the application (e.g. upload photo of driver's license here, upload a copy of Social Security card here, etc.).

• cjg
    cjg ✭✭✭
    Options

Can the name of a form be changed before saving it? Currently, when it is saved, it takes the name of the form. We inspect equipment in Hospitals. I want to use forms for our checklist. Each form needs to have a unique name, like the room number or serial number. Is this possible?

• HStarr
    Options

Thank you @Genevieve P. and @John Hieger, Can you provide any information about the status of adding this 'progress saving' feature to the desktop interface?

• nbreeden
    nbreeden
    edited 04/10/24
    Options

This feature is not a "nice-to-have" -- it's a necessity. Part of my job role is to collect very detailed data from 100+ employees across the organization. Due to the length of the data collection process and how busy people are, they do not usually have time to complete forms in one sitting. We need a native Save and Resume solution, which is a common feature already present in similar products from other companies. Using the mobile app is not a possibility due to the length of responses that contributors need to write.

I don't want to go back to the old system in which people fill out a Word document and email it to me so that I can copy and paste responses into a spreadsheet. Please prioritize this feature.