Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is there a planned development / release date for % of resource to impact scheduling?

Options
JackL
JackL
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I.e. an effort based as opposed to duration based scheduling?  At this point, I feel like I am doing all the scheduling work, and Smartsheet is only providing some reporting features.

Standard PM methods would be assigning a resource to a project on a percentage basis (common in real world) and let the tool determine scheduling. This is also common when scheduling external resources.

I may negotiate for 3 days of a resource, then later on have that reduced to 2 and need to quickly understand the impacts.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 07/20/15
    Options

Hi JackL, thanks for the question! While this is something we are looking into, it is not on our near term roadmap. I will submit your feedback to the product team and add your vote for this enhancement request. 

• Matt Smith
    edited 08/03/15
    Options

I agree with JackL's post - this is absolutely essential for any Project Management tool. Typically, estimates for tasks are calculated on an effort basis - e.g. development of enahncement X is about 50 days of effort. When planning the project, there are many factors to take into consideration, such as the number and availability of resources. So for my 50 day development task, I could have 3 resources available at 100%, 75% and 50% respectively, who would complete the task in just over 22 days.

SmartSheet seems to fall short in the following areas:

- No effort-based scheduling

- Inability to allocate multiple resources to a task

This discussion has been closed.