Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Rich Text formatting in cells

Options
Heather_Verde
Heather_Verde âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

I would love to see rich text formatting be available in cells on a sheet. We have several reports where we rely on certain words in a cell to be a different color than the other words in a cell (quickly showing variable options or redlining changed content if only a word or two has been altered). Currently, we are only able to house these items in Excel. It would be a game changer to be able to move this data into Smartsheet.

184 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

Thanks for the suggestion! This is something we are actively looking into. We are trying to understand the details around what formatting options are most important and why. Please keep adding comments to this post with your scenarios.

Comments

• Heather_Verde
    Options

Exactly Girish!

• AndersM
    AndersM âś­âś­
    Options

My team adds full descriptions within a single cell, the ability to create hierarchy with text within a specific cell is a necessity.

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Could you not use conditional formatting? Could you also not use the highlight feature to show cells that have had changes?

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• Heather_Verde
    Options

Not for redlined items. We need to mark variable options in a certain color and mark changes in another color to that changes are quickly identified. If there are multiple paragraphs of text, and we edit 2 words, we need to redline those two words so that approvers know exactly what was changed quickly just by looking at the content of the cell. Plus some of our content has items that are required to be bolded, but not the entire content, only certain words. This cannot be done currently in Smartsheet.

• NeilK
    NeilK âś­âś­
    Options

Grateful for this post. So frustrating not being able to format only required text rather than the whole cell.

• Olen Ronning
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! This is something we are actively looking into. We are trying to understand the details around what formatting options are most important and why. Please continue to reply with details and associated scenarios. Or you can schedule time to speak with us directly here: https://go.oncehub.com/OlenRonning

• Michelle Valdes
    Michelle Valdes âś­âś­âś­
    Options

We have a Weekly Status Tracker Sheet for "Accomplishments, In progress, and Up Next" and having formatting capabilities would provide increased readability as this sheet surfaces on our project dashboards. This sheet is just one example. 

• Patrick Yaeger
    Patrick Yaeger âś­âś­âś­
    Options

My team has requested rich text formatting in cells as well as a character limit increase. They use cells to paste in full email messages and meeting minutes rather than attach documents. Some of this info is emailed weekly to project stakeholders as an automatically generated PDF from a report. They often reach the character limit and desire the ability to visually organize the content they paste in via standard formatting options.

• Dror E.
    Dror E. âś­âś­
    Options

Hello,

I've addressed this request several times in the past, but it wasn't addressed yet.

My request is simple - To enable changing the format of part of a field. For instance, to change the color of some of the text in a particular field. That's it.

Thanks,

Dror, Radware