Dynamic View Comments notifications for DV users without sheet access

Options
Jen McFarland
Jen McFarland ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi Everyone - i know this has been asked before but having trouble finding out if/when this might be fixed and i couldn't respond to the thread to ask...

We are trialling Dynamic View and have set up some profiles or "view" with comments enabled. We've found out you can tag someone in the comments in DV (although it doesn't auto-fill the contact like in the sheet) who is shared to the sheet and they will receive a notification but it will direct them to the sheet rather than DV. Someone who is not shared to the sheet will not receive a notification, but can still reply in DV - is there a fix in progress to look into sending a notification to non shared person with a link to DV?

We want to enable non sheet users to be able to have a both way conversation in the comments but also be notified and direct them to their DV to be able to reply. It seems a bit pointless if they have to go in and manually check for responses.

TIA

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Jenny McFarland

What about setting up a notification (in the sheet) with the trigger set to when comments are added? That way your users don't have to @mention an email and you can put the direct URL to the Dynamic View in the subject of the alert.

Alerts can be sent out to users who aren't shared to the sheet, and you can customize it (see here) to exclude the sheet link from the message if you'd like. Would that work for you?

Please also fill out the Enhancement Request form to let the Product team know about your use-case and request.

Thank you!

Genevieve

• Eva Murphy
    Options

@Genevieve P. - how would you build a trigger in a workflow based on the addition of comments? Not finding a way to do that...

Thanks for your help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Eva Murphy

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's where you can find it.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi guys, I am trying to figure this out, I added 4 comments to my sheet to test this out and I am not getting email notifications. Trying to set up communication with the dynamic view, is there something wrong with this setup? @Andrée Starå @Genevieve P. Thank you

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @BESP10

Can you check your personal settings to see if you have this box checked or not?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. yes this is checked off, but I am not getting alerts when comments are added to the sheet? :-(

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @BESP10

Thanks for checking! I tested this same set up and received the notification.

Can you check to see if you received the alert in-app, in the bell notification, just not as an email?

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. this is my work flow, I just put a comment "test" on the discussion and I still am not getting any notification

🤔😔 what I am doing wrong>?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @BESP10

When you say you're not getting a notification, do you mean as an Email, in the Application (bell icon), or both?

Is there any possibility that the row you added a comment on does not have the right criteria for the Condition Block? (E.g. the Project Manager name is spelled a little differently than what you have in the alert)?

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

an email, and belll icon, nothing @Genevieve P. , would it help I share my sheet with you?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @BESP10

A screen capture of your underlying source sheet would be helpful, yes! 🙂 Please point out the row that you left the comment on; we'll just want to ensure that the criteria in your workflow matches what you have in the row.

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @BESP10

This is great, thank you!

I can see that the value in your "Project Manager" column comes from a formula. Can you identify what that formula is?

• To test to see if the formula is blocking the workflow, can you try making the column formula a cell formula and then manually put in the correct contact, then test on that row
    • It would also be helpful to know if the workflow triggers if you add a comment to the sheet directly (versus through Dynamic View)
    • Another check we can do is to see if the workflow has been triggered, just stopped at some point due to the conditions or action:

Does this "Last Ran" timeline sync with the current tests you're doing?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have this same need for Dynamic-View-only users to get a notification, but the workflow is not going to solve the problem for me. I need them to get notified only when someone replies to their comment, not a notification for all comments on the row.

We have a "decision contacts" column with a group of 2 to 4 contacts. That column is used for a Dynamic View filter, so that those contacts can see their assigned rows in a Dynamic View table. The details pane of the Dynamic View asks them to add a Comment for their decision. When one of them adds a comment, I do have a workflow that notifies me. However, when I reply to their comment asking for additional information, they receive nothing.

Is there any way that I can get Smartsheet to notify someone that their comment was replied to, when they only have a Dynamic View of the sheet? I refuse to make a workflow to send a notification to all 2-4 people when any kind of comment is added, it would confuse them badly. I need Smartsheet to just notify the 1 person replied to. Otherwise we're going to need to use something outside Smartsheet to communicate back and forth, which we were hoping to avoid.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Courtney S.

There currently isn't a way to use @mentions in Dynamic View in the way you're describing; please add your vote and comments to this Product Idea!

Thank you,

Genevieve