Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Group Columns in Grid

Options
2»

Comments

• Rebecca Hill
    Options

It would be very useful to be able to group columns so that we can hide groups of columns rather than hide selection but only unhide all. Each year my organisation needs to add another 8 columns to a master sheet and it's near impossible to navigate to input data. Each year it will become more difficult. I am trying to convince my organisation to invest more into Smartsheet use within the company but this lack of basic features makes that argument much more difficult.

I see many people in the community bring this up again and again but so far haven't seen any development of this feature. Please can I get an update on if this feature is still being reviewed to be added or if the idea has been canned?

Thanks

• Mike Jungers
    Options

Here's the specific functionality I would like:

• The addition of a "Column Filters" dropdown next to the "Filters" dropdown
    • The ability to create a filter names
    • Buttons next to each column name for Visible, Off, and View-only, where the cell is greyed slightly and non-editable
    • Drag and drop re-ordering of filter names in the list (this would be nice for row filters also)

I don't necessarily think a parent-child structure for columns would be necessary as summary columns would be easy to create and allow for more flexibility for summary formulas.

Thank you,

Mike

• RobH
    RobH ✭✭
    Options

The ability to group columns so that Hide/Unhide could be applied by group and groups could be expanded and collapsed as needed would be helpful.

• jessica@phoenix
    jessica@phoenix ✭✭✭
    edited 12/01/23
    Options

It would be great to be able to group columns... for various reasons.

One major one for me would be for hiding & unhiding info.

Similar to the way you can click the filter button once to filter versus unfiltered, it would be nice to be able to "Hide Column Group" or "Unhide Column Group"... this is something that would come in handy for quick data entry on sheets that are used by multiple people but controlled & kept clean by one or two individuals.

• NickStaffordPM
    NickStaffordPM ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/04/23
    Options

This would really us out in our business as well, good suggestion!

• carriemcintyre
    Options

Definitely agree with this -- functionality I use in Sheets/Excel regularly that would be helpful for larger Smartsheets.

• Nick Wilson
    Nick Wilson ✭✭✭
    Options

I would love to see this smartsheets. Would make it much easier to navigate and work on large sheets.

• Rebecca Hill
    Options

It would be great if we could group columns together in the same way we can with rows. This would allow us to hide and unhide column selections rather than "Unhide all columns" only. It would also be easier to edit a grid view sheet with new sectinos of information.

• Stephanie Graham
    Stephanie Graham ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would help us immensely. We track 4 different types of HR information in a grid that tie together but sometimes we are only working on one facet. If we could collapse the other information, it would be more efficient and stop us from moving columns all the time and hoping we move them back into their original place. Reports are fine, but we can't add lines as needed on those reports.

• Abitheblue
    Options

I know others have asked about this but I wanted to share a vote or request for the ability to group columns.

This would help massively in a part of our projects when we are deimplementing suppliers, from our clients countries. These are often in waves and Ideally we want these in one sheet vs multiple sheets based on waves.

• Ida Skou
    Options

It would be great to be able to group columns, or indent children-columns to a parent-column like you can indent rows.