Automated Workflow

I'm having an issue with a workflow. My workflow is:

When a row changes, Billable task changes to 100%, change the Invoice Status to SEND. The billable task is a linked field from another sheet.

If I update the Billable task to 100% (via the link) and manually run the workflow, the Invoice Status changes as it should, but it will not change the status automatically. I've tried using 1 instead of 100%, but it will not update automatically. I have other workflows to change the invoice status based on other criteria and these all work as they should. This is the first step in our billing notification process.

It had been working when I set it up originally and somehow it has stopped working.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Linda Hoydic

I recommend checking out this Community discussion posted a while back. Unfortunately it looks like you'll have issues using a linked cell to trigger a workflow.

I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but I would try adding a column with a formula in it (maybe a checkbox or something similar) that will update based on the linked cell. Hopefully that will allow you to use the cell with a formula in it to trigger the workflow since it won't be a linked cell. This is just an idea, but I think it might work for you. Feel free to mention me here to let me know what happens if you try that & I'll see if I can help you some more if you need it 😊

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭

@ro.fei I added a column Task Complete with a formula, =IF([Billable Task Complete]@row = 1, "Y", ""), then changed the workflow to trigger when the Task Complete changes to Y, change Invoice Status to Send.

The first part works fine, the Task Complete is updated to Y, but the workflow to change the status will not run.

I have other workflows on the sheet, when a field changes, update status and those all work perfectly. This one will not work automatically. I can run it manually on the row and it updates properly. I've deleted this workflow and created it again, but it still does not work automatically. I would think that if it works successfully when I manually run it, that it is correct, I just don't understand why it won't trigger automatically.

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Linda Hoydic Could you show me a screenshot of the workflow? I want to take a look at how the trigger is set up now that it's looking at your new Task Complete column

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭

Update: I figured out how to make it work. I use a formula in the Invoice Status column to set the status to Send, when Billable Task complete = 100%. Then, the subsequent workflows will work and continue the update as the process progresses.

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭

@ro.fei I'm sorry forgot to tag you in my update. I found a way to make everything work without the task complete column. I'm using a formula in the Invoice Status column which will set the value to Send when the Billable Task - 100%. This seems to be working.

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Linda Hoydic Amazing! So glad you got it to work. Did you end up using formulas at all? Just curious how you got the linked cell to trigger the workflow--I've had so much trouble with it.

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭

@ro.fei Here is what I was trying to do with the workflow: When Billable Task Complete (this is the linked cell) is 100%, change the value in Invoice Status to SEND. The only way I could get this to trigger is with the new Run Workflow Now, then it would work, but letting the workflow trigger it, I could not get the status to change to SEND.

So, I added a formula to my Invoice Status Column that says, if Billable Task Complete is < 1, "Pending", "Send". This sets the status based on the value in the Billable Task column. Once the Billable Task complete changes to 100%, the Invoice Status changes to SEND and the rest of my workflows kickoff perfectly.

I guess the only issue I have is why it would work when I manually ran it, to test, but automatically it would not run, which makes no sense to me. My main goal was to eliminate the manual step to change the invoice status to notify my accounting department and now, it seems to be working automatically as I wanted, so it's fine.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/27/23

Hi @Linda Hoydic

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Ro's excellent advice/answer.

To prevent an infinite loop or circular reference, actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links, cross-sheet formulas, or formulas that refer to another cell with an inbound cell link or cross sheet formula. This includes Request an approval, Move rows, Copy rows, Lock rows, Unlock rows, Record a date, and Assign people. For example, if the Status cell on the row is populated by a formula pointing to a cell with a cell link from another sheet, changes to that cell value through the cell link will not trigger a workflow that locks the row when Status changes to Complete.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Linda Hoydic
    Linda Hoydic ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thanks for additional information. As I said after reviewing everything, I was able to get everything working, by using a formula to change the status to SEND based on the billable task field (inbound linked field). Once the status goes to SEND, the workflow notification to accounting triggers automatically.

I appreciate all of the insight! It's been very helpful.

Have a great day!