Form logic is not working

Oh Canada
Oh Canada ✭✭
edited 05/18/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I submitted to tech support 5 days ago when discovered this and still can't get answers.

I have built many many forms in the past however the logic is now not working. I dumped the form and started fresh however still has same issue.

Logic is that when customer name is blank only Lot-Unit-Development should show however as you can see below everything is showing...Gets better, when I change it to "Not Blank" then Lot-Unit-Development are not shown however all other items are.

Any thoughts on how I can get tech support to look into this...will not respond to emails, there is no phone number, Account managers will not answer their phones. Is there a SmartSheet or is it all AI??? User since 2007 so fan however this is frustrating!

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/18/23

Have you tried to use the logic of when customer name is blank to hide those other fields?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hey Paul, yes tried that and nothing.

• Hi @Oh Canada

@Paul Newcome is correct! If you want to hide other fields, you'll need to set up logic to only show those fields at a certain time. If you don't add logic to a field, it will automatically be visible (unless you remove it from the form).

For example, I have some fields I want to show when something is selected. However when that happens, I want other fields to be hidden.

In this case I need to set up 2 logic statements:

• One to show fields when the selection IS made
    • One to show fields when a selection IS NOT made (when it's blank)

Here's what it looks like without anything selected:

Here's what happens when I select the "Show Values" option:

Notice that the original two disappear, since my logic states that they should only show when the field is blank. Is this what you were looking to do?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure that you are applying some type of logic to ALL fields that you want manipulated. If you do not select a filed in the logic rule, it will remain visible at all times.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Thank-you Paul and Genevieve however both of these were done right from the beginning and nothing. I have deleted the sheet and form and built again and the issue continues.

Genevieve I do exactly as you stated....when nothing is selected I only want a few items showing until the trigger information is added to expand the set of questions. As stated originally I have built many forms with logic.

Again appreciate your assistance, really wish SmartSheet tech support would just get online and take a look as this is an interesting case that may be a bigger challenge for others.

• Hi @Oh Canada

To clarify, all of the fields that you don't want to show require logic applied to them as well for when you do want them to appear.

Do you have logic applied for when to show these extra fields?

From your original screen capture it looks like you only have one set of logic applied - when to Show values - and there is no second logic that states when to Hide all of these other fields.

This is where you need to add the second statement:

Let us know if adding this second rule created the functionality you're looking for!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now