Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Sharing reports with data without even view access to the source sheet

Options

Today in order to share data in Reports we would need to provide view/edit access to the underneath sheet / source sheet. That's not exactly what many of users expect from Reports.

This is a pretty typical task to have a data frame (source sheet) and using Reports provide access to certain portions of data to different (groups of) users.

So, it would be great to have that enhancement implemented some time soon!

Thank you in advance!

Tags:
75 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

This is a great idea and one we're actively thinking about. There are complexities around permissions we need to consider but we're motivated to develop solutions for sharing Reports with as little friction as possible.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/23
    Options

Hi @Arul

I hope you're well and safe!

You can use the Premium App WorkApps (available for licensed users on the Enterprise Plan, Smartsheet Advance, or/and with the Collaborator Pack) or the Premium App, Dynamic View.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Arul
    Arul ✭✭
    edited 08/02/23
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

Good Day!! Thanks for your suggestion.

I initially planned to do it that way with Workapps as I had the collaborator pack. Workapps have a limitation of 50 pages. Each one supplier of ours has to work on 3-4 such reports. So it kind of beats the purpose of keeping everything in one place for easy access. I know that we can have individual sheets for every supplier and then use workflow to push the data to a common sheet for creating dashboards for the leadership.

But it would be less of a hassle if we can have multiple reports feeding into the same sheet without having to share the source sheet that has confidential information of other suppliers.

Thanks!

Arul | Project Manager / Data Analyst @ TRIMBLE

• Krystal Garcia
    Krystal Garcia ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/23
    Options

I have this same exact situation going on. Thanks for bringing it up!

• Dana Gugliotti
    edited 08/02/23
    Options

We just got dynamic view because it is really important for security to isolate views and not allow access to all aspects. I am looking forward to implementing it soon!!

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree that Reports are much less useful due to the need for source sheet access. Unfortunately I think Smartsheet says the solution is to purchase the Dynamic View add-on which does let you give people restricted views of the sheet's information without granting access to the source sheet.

• HElliot
    HElliot ✭✭
    Options

So much this! Might as well download the sheet as an Excel sheet and use a Pivot table, but then why do I have Smartsheet? I need to be able to share reports to people where they can't change the filters, but they can upload comments and attachments.

• nualamcd
    Options

Reports NEED to be shareable without sharing the filter edits. !!!

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i agree, this defeats alot of our workstreams to use master sheets and share filtered view reports. Dynamic view is a different look and feel than reports and not as easy to learn/manage for everyone.

• taphena
    taphena ✭✭
    Options

I want to share a Report with a customer without sharing my Sheet that includes everyone's data. Right now I have to share the Sheet and compromise the integrity of anonymity for my customers or copy/paste the data into a Form which is extra unnecessary work. If I could share a Report, which automates the data from my Sheet, without sharing-hours upon hours would be saved! Please make this adjustment for all of us!

• Jane Hill
    Jane Hill ✭✭✭
    Options

Smartsheet Team...at least add a message that the report will not be viewable because the sheet isn't shared.

• Lisa Shields
    Options

Agree with all the comments above!

• MaggieM
    MaggieM ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, we absolutely need this too. Too many people have access to all of our data because of this limitation