Editors Reordering Columns

Hello all,

As I've read in Smartsheet Articles, the only roles that can change column layout are Owners and Admins.

However, in one of our workspaces, we noticed an Editor changing the order of the columns in a Sheet.

Are we missing something and is this expected behavior? If no, what can we do to fix this?

We don't want this person to be able to move columns.

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/03/23

Hi @moraki

I tested if the editor could change the order of the columns, but it could not.

Fixing and formatting columns was possible.

Why don't you check Sharing (Sheet Shared) in the Activty log to see if the person has ever been shared as an Admin?

FYI, someone reported the same phenomenon at the bottom of this discussion.

• moraki
    moraki ✭✭

@jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp Thank you for your reply.

I checked in the Activity Log and the only permissions that appear for this user are the ones in the screenshot in my post, only Editor permission. Do you have any other suggestions?

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @moraki

As of 05/04/23, there was a report of the same issue. (I was unable to reproduce this issue.)😅

You should contact the Smartsheet Support Team, as Andrée Starå commented in the thread.

• moraki
    moraki ✭✭

@jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp I have already contacted them but they seem to take some time to respond.. Thank you for your help!

• Hey @moraki

You are correct: only Admins and Owners can change column locations in a sheet.

That said, I have seen occasions where an Admin and an Editor are both working in the sheet at the same time. If the Admin has made a change but the Editor is also making changes, this can sometimes be recorded that the Editor rearranged the column because the save happened at the same time, when really it was the Admin actions that were changing the sheet.

Is it possible that other collaborators were working in the sheet at the same time as this Editor?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• moraki
    moraki ✭✭

Hello @Genevieve P.

Thank you for your reply! This problem has occurred twice. The second time it happened, it is possible that what you suggest could be the explanation, Admin and Editor working at the same time in the sheet.

However, the first time it occurred, this wasn't the case. No one was working on the sheet when we reordered the columns. The next action on the sheet was 2 and a half hours later than our last save.

Do you have any ideas that could explain this particular case?

• Hi @moraki

I don't know of any other causes for an Editor to be incorrectly identified as moving columns other than the previously described scenario (multiple collaborators all working/saving changes at the same time).

Support will be able to identify if that's what has happened in your case; they'll need the sheet URL and the email addresses of the users making the changes, as well as screen captures of your Activity Log with a time stamp to investigate the specific instance you need to look into.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now