How do i set up a conditional format, when i want more than one person in the assigned to column

Options
Genesia
Genesia ✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have each assigned to person with conditional format with a color to let them know what they are assigned to work, but what if i need two or more associates to work that particular assignment, how do i set up conditional formatting for that, or would that be a formula?

Best Answer

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Genesia

I would use conditional formatting. The rules for individual people should be in the form "If Assigned To is equal to 'Curtis Coleman' then apply this format to the entire row." It's important to use "is equal to" rather than "contains." Then add a final rule (at the bottom of the list of rules): "If Assigned To is not blank then apply this format to the entire row."

With this structure and wording for the rules, rows with a single person assigned will get their individual color and those with two or more people will get the color you assign in the last rule.

Hope this helps!

Answers

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Genesia

I would use conditional formatting. The rules for individual people should be in the form "If Assigned To is equal to 'Curtis Coleman' then apply this format to the entire row." It's important to use "is equal to" rather than "contains." Then add a final rule (at the bottom of the list of rules): "If Assigned To is not blank then apply this format to the entire row."

With this structure and wording for the rules, rows with a single person assigned will get their individual color and those with two or more people will get the color you assign in the last rule.

Hope this helps!

• Genesia
    Genesia ✭✭
    Options

Thank you so much that was so helpful and it worked.

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • carriej2
    Options

What if the column uses contacts instead of just a person's name as text? Can I setup a conditional formatting rule when I want to change the row color if two specific contacts are selected in the assigned to column?