October Question of the Month 💭 Join the conversation and receive a badge

Options

Comments

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Starting my own company!

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting and reacting w/ 💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome!

PS - If you have a follow up response tag me @SoS | Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

• Marlei
    Marlei ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Marcela this is something I have not overcome, so congrats! When I travel alone (mostly work related), most of my free time is spent in my hotel room (food delivery and netflix). I'd love to overcome my fears of being out there alone in places I am not familiar with.

• Marcela
    Marcela Employee Admin
    edited 10/12/23
    Options

@Marlei I got inspired to overcome my fear when I read a quote once, I'll share it with you in case it helps: ¨Whenever you want to go to a place and do something new but no one wants to go with you, do it anyways, you will find people with the same interests along the way¨ 💗 You are never alone if you connect with yourself

• Beth B
    Beth B ✭✭✭
    Options

So many things :) From a professional perspective, it was leaving a job where I was very comfortable to join a brand-new company. Six weeks in, I knew it was the wrong company for me, so I moved yet again. I'm so glad I trusted myself! The new company was the right fit and I learned so much! And, that brand-new company fell apart a few months later. It's scary to make a big change, and even scarier when you realize it was a mistake!

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/13/23
    Options

As someone that loves facing new challenges, but hates change:

Everything.

Literally, everything.

But to quote Adam Savage, "Failure is always an option". We tend to have this societal view that failure is unacceptable. In reality, any reasonable person should expect to fail as often as they succeed. Treat every failure as a learning experience and strive to "bite off more than you can chew" when given the opportunity. When we allow ourselves to fail, the successes are that much more meaningful.

• drkailey
    Options

Becoming a parent and starting a new job have to be my top two. First, nothing prepares you for being a parent, even if it is something you have wanted your whole life. All the worrying you do about being a good parent and the part about keeping them alive, it is totally scary. Second, when you are with a client for an extended amount of years and you are trying to make the decision to try something new, it is scary because one is unknown and the other is comfortable. That is just something that can't be helped.

• Nat
    Nat ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Karaoke!

Thought it would be the worst... turns out it doesn't matter how you sound or what anyone thinks, singing into a mic is pure therapy!

• Ashley McAdoo
    Ashley McAdoo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quitting smoking. I thought I was going to be miserable, but I went to a hypnotherapist and never smoked again after that session.

• Alpha Chucky
    Alpha Chucky ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/13/23
    Options

Asking for help!

As a dude, I grew up around a lot of people (especially men) who made me feel that asking for help was a sign of weakness. Before google maps, I was really good at map reading or I would just have to drive around in circles because I was never asking someone for directions. LOL!!

What I've determined in retrospect is that most people are afraid to be asked because it may reveal they know less or are less than they are perceived. #thewizardofoz.

Here's what I've learned:

1) It's important to find safe and knowledgeable places to get help

2) Friends are flawed. Even the best of friends are great to help in certain aspects of life, but maybe not for everything.

And when someone approaches me for help, if I can't, let's work together to fix/resolve/find the solution.

Projects Delivered. Data Defended.

• Melissa Yamada
    Melissa Yamada ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bungee jumping in the Corinth Canal in Greece!

• T. Smith
    T. Smith ✭✭✭
    Options

Smartsheet reports.

I always knew they were available but thought it would be a whole new section of the deep pool to learn about. It was stupidly easy!

• malbers
    malbers Overachievers
    Options

+1 for parenting!

• Jackie9641
    Options

Traveling internationally on my own. But, I really wasn't. My company has a great SOS system in place and between that, my corporate card with many funds on it, and my corporate phone with international cell service, I did just fine and was only nervous the first time.

• rwood24
    rwood24 ✭✭✭
    Options

I joined the Air Force right after high school. After serving 24 years, it was scary jumping into the civilian world. I could have comfortably served six more years, but felt it was the right time for me and my family. I actually moved to a city that was in my Top-3 of places I never wanted to live. But after 14 years, it was definitely the right decision.

• khickman
    khickman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One thing I was scared of was changing careers. I spent 15 years in fundraising and was burnt out. I now work in senior living and healthcare and love my new career in Informatics. And I love I get to work with and utilize as a resource.

This discussion has been closed.