October Question of the Month 💭 Join the conversation and receive a badge

Options

Comments

• Jake Gustafson
    Jake Gustafson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Flying ✈. Growing up, my family didn't vacation too extravagantly. In college, a friend was an aviation major, therefore, he had access to a 4-seater Cessna. My first trip, with him and a few other friends, was an eventful one, but things got better with each subsequent flight. Fast forward a few years and I was on my first commercial flight over to Europe alone. Needless to say, I survived all of these early flights, thoroughly enjoy flying now, and approach it with quite a bit of calmness (after confirming that my ticket is for the correct date, time, airline, etc.).

• joelsmit94161
    joelsmit94161 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've been to Disney World 5 times in my life. At the age of 46, I went on Space Mountain for the first time. I do not like roller coasters, but since my two youngest children were now old enough to ride it, I just had to go and show them it was ok. I went and I actually enjoyed it (because it didn't have the steep drops or upside down segments, that I really don't like). After I got off the ride I said to my wife "Wow, I really missed out on a lot of fun in my 46 years.

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Riding the Goldbelt Tram up the mountain in Juneau Alaska and the Tram in Icy Straight Point, Hoonah, Alaska.

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• Rebeca S.
    Rebeca S. Employee Admin
    Options

Wow, the view must be incredible from up there! What a fantastic experience 🤩

• vdemattei
    vdemattei ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Using power tools! My husband and I bought a house together (finally!) just over a year ago and we have countless DIY projects to do. I got tired of waiting for him to have time to do things (cut base boards, for one example) and asked him to show me how to do it. I had avoided particularly power saws as much as possible, but now that I understand them and make sure to take my time and be safe, they're not so bad. It's been so satisfying to contribute more to our projects, especially as a woman in the construction industry who has always just sat behind computers!

• Shannon R.
    Options

Running my first 10K! I had wanted to do it for a while but somehow always felt scared that I wouldn't complete it, I'd be pulled off the course (#slowrunner), or people would judge me. When I did my first, I went BIG - the Marine Corps 10K in DC - and just did my best. Surprise surprise, I didn't get pulled off the course and went full throttle to "take the hill" (for those not familiar with the MCM series, both the marathon and 10K ends with a wicked incline up to the Iwo Jima monument on a road lined with Marines yelling/encouraging you on). I was SO proud of myself afterwards for facing my fear and making the most of it.

• Salèha El D.
    Salèha El D. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Moving away from my home country France, the very first time was very scary, I was only 23 years old with little English.

I booked a plane ticket Paris to London, and a train ticket London to Salisbury - I had no accommodation, what I knew was:

• the city I wanted to be
    • the course I was going to enrol into
    • the College where I was going to study

I got there, and everything fell into place, the rest is history.

Since, I moved to Spain, and now I am back in the UK... next is Saudi, with no Arabic at all, this is no longer a scary thing, but an adventure to look forward to.

“Life always begins with one step outside of your comfort zone.” ― Shannon L. Alder

Salèha El D.

Talks about #Smartsheet #productivity, #eventindustry, and #informationtechnology

➖Continuous improvement – for me, an ongoing desire to enhance processes, and increase productivity ➖

• Phillip Cullum
    Options

Flying. In a small general aviation aircraft. After the first flight, I was hooked. I earned my private pilot certificate, and 35 years later, I still love it! Get out there and fly; you'll love the exhilaration.

• T. Smith
    T. Smith ✭✭✭
    Options

Hilariously, I was nervous about setting up an automated report of the entire Smartsheet I was utilizing. It forced me into exploring the Reports options and it was laughably easy to set one up and then send out an automated report every month.

I couldn't believe how quickly it was to set up and send out. I made it such a taller task in my head.

• Cindy Schick
    Options

Leaving my marriage after 27 years married/ 30 years together, even though we spent the last 15 years of those living in different states. But 2 years later, I've got a new lease on life and it's good.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One thing that scared me until I did it was speaking in front of a crowd.

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First time driving on one of the busiest highways in the US - this was extremely scary to me as I had learnt my driving in India and used to drive a small hatchback back there. But when I saw the speed and number of cars dashing through the I-95 at night, I was shell-shocked.. I had bought a cute BMW convertible with full confidence as we were living in the beautiful town of Boulder (Colorado) where everything is a minute away but just taking that small yet extremely powerful vehicle through the highway for the first time was my scariest venture ever! My heart pounced and beat a zillion times on the ramp and on top of it my husband kept reminding "you cannot slow down here" keep moving... 😕 I didn't breathe or blink my eyes till we crossed the whole highway!

I am a much better driver today but I still avoid highways where I can 😛

Ipshita Mukherjee

• ccrowley
    ccrowley Employee
    Options

This sounds like me! (Not as long together, but two years later and I have a new lease on life too.) Congrats on choosing yourself and finding happiness 😍

• dakissee108951
    Options

The scariest moment for me was walking away from a toxic work environment and resigning without having a new job. I had never been in a situation like this before and thought long and hard about the decision and then when I knew it was time, I resigned and walked away. Best decision ever. A few months later, I found the perfect position that led me to Smartsheet and the work that I do now. I also own my own sewing business so technically I have two full-time jobs and I love Smartsheet so much that I knew I also needed to incorporate it into my sewing business as well. Starting my own business is also the scariest thing I've ever done. It's hard since I still work full-time but my goal is to transition into full-time sewing within the next year. Change can be scary but from it comes growth and strength.

• Chris Dinsmore
    Options

Buying my first house

This discussion has been closed.