Mapping data within a hierarchy

Options

Hello, I hope you are well.

I'm trying to find a way to collect information within a hierarchy on a sheet. I need to gather the last date for a column within a level of the hierarchy and display this date in the parent cell of this hierarchy, regardless of whether new rows are added during the project's development. The figure below illustrates an example.

I need to ensure that in row four, column two, I always have the date from the last cell in column two for this hierarchy. In this case, it's the date in row eight. However, I cannot lose this reference if I add new rows between five and seven or even after eight. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could achieve this?

Thank you very much!

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @mpiza,

Smartsheet has a built-in feature for this, where you'll need to edit the Project Settings. You could use your existing sheet and toggle the view to Gantt View, allowing you to update the Project Settings (gear icon) on the top right toolbar.

Alternatively, if you're still early in your sheet-building, I would create a new Project sheet (instead of a Grid sheet). By using hierarchy's, your start and finish date would automatically update in your parent row.

Useful section "Organize your project task" here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765675-work-with-gantt-chart?source=apphelpicon

Cheers,

Ric

• mpiza
    mpiza ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the response,

In my project, I already have columns for the start and end dates of each stage that are being automatically updated. I want to add a third column for the actual completion dates of the stages and track this variation. I am currently unable to get this updated information in the third column.

Is it possible to expand this setup to more columns?