Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Sorely needed = proper, granular zoom levels in Gantt chart view!

For years I've suffered with the ridiculously coarse and uneven zoom levels in Smartsheet's Gannt charts. No more, I'm now raising my hand to say it's 2023 and we should have far more granularity in zoom levels on a Gannt chart view!

Ideally a zoom slider tool (like, for example in MS Word and Excel) rather than fixed increments. Twice the number of levels would be good, but really it should be at minimum 3-4x the levels of granularity than what exists today, if a zoom slider cannot be developed.

Let me express it in terms of how much time (schedule time in the Gannt chart) fits in 2" of screen width (the 2" is arbitrary and not what's important):

• Fully zoomed out, I see about 18 months - i.e. 1.5 years - shown/labeled as quarters (Q1, Q2, etc)
  • 1st level zoom in: about 6.5 months (roughly 2.8x zoom from above 0 level zoom)
  • 2nd level zoom in: about 1 month (roughly 6.5x zoom from above 1st level zoom)
  • 3rd level (max) zoom in: 10 days (roughly 3x zoom from above 2nd level zoom)

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it -- the jump between 1st and 2nd level is massive (6.5x) and inconsistent with the other zoom levels. That's where the huge problem lies - every time I go from 1st to 2nd level zoom, it's jolting, frustrating, enormously dissatisfying, and therefore it's a tremendous disruption to my work flow! Is this how you want customers to feel using Smartsheet?!

Thank you for prioritizing this change, which should not be a terribly difficult one to make.

10 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• The zoom in/out feature in Gantt view is far too clunky. Add granularity to the zoom increments to allow Gantt charts to be easier to read and able to be sized to the window size.

• spauliszyn
    spauliszyn ✭✭✭
    edited 05/21/24

Yes, the one-size-fits-all does not work with us as well.

• JUST PJM
    JUST PJM ✭✭✭

I fully agree with your request and my complete project management team is asking for this feature that would Smartsheet make just smarter. Please implement!

• JUST PJM
    JUST PJM ✭✭✭
    edited 05/21/24

Fully agree. Please implement.

• Agree 1000% - we share a full-width-of-page project timeline in our dashboards.

Minimally, need a "step" between Zoom Level 1 and Zoom Level 2… which would show approx. 12 months in the width (green screengrab mock-up). Preferably, would have much more control as @ScottZT suggests. Thanks!

** please ignore the ugly blue background in the cells which carried over from our initial Control Center template and I haven't taken time to cleanup yet.

• This one issue keeps us from using Smartsheet to communicate a portfolio timeline to executives outside the project structure. Because the primary/secondary zoom level options are either Quarter / Month (in which case a month takes up something like 1/2" of screen/print width) or Month / Week (making a month maybe 2-1/2" wide), we have to take our project data out of SmartSheet and do some manual work in Excel or PowerPoint etc, just to show a reasonably readable 6 month timeline on screen.

• J. Michael Brown
    edited 07/18/24

Add my name to the list of people wanting a more granular Zoom capability to the normal Gantt view (and Timeline view)