[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Comments

• One of the most memorable courses I've taken was a cooking class in New Orleans with my son. First, we enjoyed the city, rich with its unique culture and soulful cuisine, and it provided the perfect backdrop for our culinary adventure. I remember the joy we felt as we navigated through the bustling local markets, hand-picking fresh ingredients for our class. The colors and scents surrounding us stirred our senses and upped our anticipation. Together, we learned to prepare the city's signature dishes, from hearty gumbo to delicate beignets. The shared laughter and camaraderie in the kitchen added a delightful flavor to our dishes and our day.

This cooking class was more than just an educational activity; it became a bonding experience for my son and me. We worked together as a team, executing each recipe with precision and a shared sense of purpose. The conversation flowed effortlessly as we cooked, and we found ourselves sharing stories and jokes, making the experience even more special. The pride and joy we felt in our culinary creations deepened our connection. This unique experience in New Orleans was a testament to our shared love for food and each other’s company, and it's an experience we will cherish forever.

• Mindful Leadership in my undergrad was a game changer for me, and really drove home what I wanted to be doing with my life. I had had a handful of part-time and full-time jobs by that point and the management during each had been much more 'hands on'; interacting with management always felt like something I needed to be prepared for and almost fear. I knew I wanted to support and lead in an organization and learning a different approach early on was inspiring. I've done my best to incorporate what I learned in that course (and beyond - I went on to study this further on my own and in subsequent courses) in my daily management style to help guide, support and lead.

• Engineering economics - showed the amazing power of compound interest!

• My favorite course was called "The Doers Accelerator", it was an online course dedicated to entrepreneur women to help launch a successful high-ticket coaching program. I loved the community, the way everything was planned. WE had a combination of videos and life group coaching + a FB group to share experiences with other like minded women. It was amazing!

• I really enjoyed the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFE) Release Train engineer certification course I took back in 2016. The instructor was very knowledge and engaging and the other attendees all had different agile/scrum experiences that were discussed as group to understand how to apply SAFE to resolve different real-world agile delivery concerns at scale.

• I have not taken any classes from SU. One course I took many years ago but still utilize is "Confident Communication: The Cathcart Method for Leading Meetings. " by Jim Cathcart.

It teaches skills that never go out of date.

• Definitely, going to be an Ecology and Evolutionary Biology course completed during my undergraduate. Part of the course was to volunteer at the University Arboretum that is a part of San Joaquin Marsh Wildlife sanctuary. This provided hands on experience and a different perspective from just textbook material. It is a short walk from the campus and allowed for open air classes to take place.

• A favorite course a few years ago was CFO boot camp. It helped you understand business from the top level of finance/accounting. The details behind balance sheet and income statements etc.

• I really enjoyed the Gallup CliftonStrengths Coach Certification program I took. Such an interesting concept and approach to helping others understand their natural abilities and what makes them successful. Not only was the content very engaging, but there were also multiple opportunities to work with a variety of participants to understand their unique talents and how they were using CliftonStrengths in their organization or role. The course also led to becoming certified as a Gallup CliftonStrengths Coach.

• This is going to be really cheesy lol - a leadership summit with one of my previous employers and we were presented with this coaching tool for driving difficult conversations and performance evaluations. I am not the best communicator and have high anxiety and so I fumble A LOT. This chart helped propel my leadership skills and career, allowing me to have those "difficult" conversations as conversations of opportunity rather than the typical corporate "needs improvement" banter. Being able to sit down with one of my direct reports and very literally using the printout as a conversation driver with notes next to each section to talk about strengths, weaknesses, process improvements (and more) made for some of the best working relationships I've ever had. "Difficult conversations" and performance reviews became opportunities to set someone up for success. No, it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows - BUT - focusing on strength over weakness and encouraging employee growth made the experience a valuable one for everyone involved (for a change).

• Best course I ever took was for ImageNow document management product. In person, HEAVY hands-on labs, nothing taken for granted, with books I could mark-up and take home. Plenty of time to converse with instructor, and discuss not only course content, but also what we were needing to do back in the office with ImageNow and how to do it. I usually have some experience with a product I inherit, am expected to support, and I often come to class loaded with a lot of questions after having gotten a taste. Learning best practices on a product is also critical. I have inherited something that was not set-up optimally in the first place. That can hinder product performance or being able to use all of the features, so need to fix it.

• One of my favorite courses I've taken was a sports medicine class. I thought it was super interesting, and I loved how hands on it was. I'm not a feet person, but wrapping ankles was very fun.

• I loved the Six Sigma White Belt course I took on process improvement. I hope to do the other belts in the future!!

• The best course I ever took was a foundational course in a software (doesn't matter the name) that I had been using for over 20 years. Over those 20 years there were so many new features that I had never found the time to learn. I was doing things the same way I had a decade ago unless I found a new feature by accident or reading an article. Reassessing the foundations and making incremental improvements keeps you from falling behind.

• Course Title: Spanish for Spanish Speakers

What Made It Great: My favorite course was Spanish for Spanish Speakers. What made it stand out was the opportunity to share experiences with other Latino immigrants from all over the world. Additionally, delving into the culture and language of Spanglish was fascinating. It provided a unique exploration of how language evolves and how it reflects cultural identity.

This discussion has been closed.