Request an update automation broke randomly

Options
NicholasB
NicholasB
edited 04/18/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello! We have had a request update automation in our sheet for years. The idea is very basic, to assign a contact to a cell and they receive a request to update other cells on the same row. This has worked perfectly up until the evening of 4/15. After that, the automation has not been working correctly. In the below screenshot - There is one main group that we assign in the sheet. We have a condition that selects the group (left branch), and then sends every other group to the right branch.

If I assign Test User, they should follow the branch on the left and receive a tailored update request. The left branch selects Test User as one of the contacts. However, recently Test User is only following the branch on the right. This branch specifically excludes Test User, but for some reason they are still getting that automation.

This has been causing quite a few issues as Test User is now receiving the wrong update request all of a sudden. I would appreciate any insight into fixing this issue. Thank you!

Edit: replaced @ with assign to add clarity

Answers

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

HI @NicholasB , I must admit that I don't know what you mean by "@" ing someone in your SS. Could you share a screenshot of what is in your column labeled "Assign to another group for approval/Input" when it is not working?

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• NicholasB
    NicholasB
    edited 04/18/24
    Options

Hey @Scott Orsey! Sure. When I say @ ing someone, I just mean assigning a contact in a cell. I used Test User as I did not want to reveal any confidential information, but the below screenshot is what the ""Assign to another group for approval/Input" looks like when we add a contact (my name as an example) to the cell.

Does this help at all? Thanks! Edit: I just edited my original post to avoid this confusion.

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @NicolasB , Thanks that helps. It looks like you would like to have potentially multiple names in the field. Yet, your condition uses "Is equal to". So, SS is going to look for only those fields that exactly match what is in your condition. So my hypothesis is that in the past you had only one name in the condition and that only one person is @'ed at a time. To fix this, you'll want to use "Is one of" in the condition... or if you plan to still put more than one name in the cell, you can use "Contains". If you are using "contains" and you want to trigger on more than one name, I suspect you'll need to create an "or" in the condition and list each name separately. Let me know if this makes sense... if not, then try to explain the specific conditions that you are trying to control for and I can help further.

One thing to note... It sounds like when you @ someone you want the notification/request to go to only the "new" person in the list. I don't believe this is possible. SS will send it to everyone listed in the contact column.

Good luck. Be well!

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!